Chapter 5: Thinking About You

The instance between Spencer and Toby was kept a secret. Neither made an effort to aware their friends of how they spent their Saturday afternoon. It made sense why. Their friends would obviously poke fun at them with childish jokes just to irritate them. Weeks passed where it seemed that was all but a dream. They didn't bring it up; they sort of just pretended it didn't happen.

Their bickering settled down, in a way. Minutes would pass where neither would say anything horrid to one another. To Aria and Caleb, the ones who witnessed the duo's brawls in high school, it was a miraculous thing. They had gone almost two months without sawing each other's heads off. It was a wedding miracle.

Although they did not know of the friendship that once blossomed between the two. They had thought this was the first time they had managed to tolerate each other, but they were wrong. They often thought they were incapable of befriending one another, Caleb had even placed a bet that they could not spend an hour together without bickering over something frivolous. They proved him wrong, long ago, although they weren't lining up to collect their dues. They didn't accept their friendship. It repulsed them, but at the same time they liked it. They liked eachother, they just didn't want to admit it.

It was the same circumstances now. They no longer despised each other, but neither would voice this opinion. They wouldn't actually admit they could tolerate each other. They wouldn't even admit it to themselves. Not for a while anyways.

Then again, maybe Spencer's new liking for the man was just out of pity. He was sporting a cast, and being forced to attend dance lessons. Although, none of that would fall into the equation after today because Toby was getting his cast off.

When Toby told Spencer this, she smiled. She actually smiled! She was actually genuinely glad for him. Or maybe it was just a fake smile, who knows (it wasn't, you could tell.) Toby didn't understand where they stood. Were they acquaintances? Dare to say friends? He didn't want to ask her, so he would just go on acting as nothing was happening. It didn't really matter anyways. If they got along, then good, they got along. They wouldn't suffer as much. But the fact of the matter was that this would all be over eventually. They would then go on to live their lives like none of this ever happened. He didn't see them going out for dinner and a movie anytime soon. They were just getting along, and there was no reason to address it. Besides, who on earth asks someone if they are friends or not. If you have to ask, then obviously you're not. Right? That makes sense, sort of.

He thought about this the whole time he was there. He didn't know why he cared so much. She probably didn't even think about it once. She probably didn't even notice the changes between them. She was probably just being nice because he fell off a stage and broke his arm. Although, he has done worse, and she wasn't exactly nice then. Toby wanted so desperately to stop thinking about this, but he couldn't.

The only thing that tore his thoughts away from Spencer was when he could see the bare skin on his left arm. It had been so long. Well, a little over a month but, it was still a weird sight to see. But it didn't take him much time to fall back into the habit of seeing it. It was like coming back to school after summer vacation, it would be weird the first couple days, but then it would feel like you never left. After a few hours, Toby couldn't even remember how the cast felt.

Which eventually led his thoughts back to Spencer, which only heightened his annoyance. Why was it bugging him so much?

Did he want to be friends with her? If so, why? The last time they were friends, she accused him of ruining her physics project, and didn't believe him when he pleaded not guilty.

Was that just an excuse to not be friends with her? Probably.

It did not matter though. It really didn't. After this was all over, none of it would be relevant. He had no belief that they could ever become lifelong pals, or even year round pals. If anything, they would be those people who talk to each other when they happen to be at the same place. Like the those kind of friends you had in high school. Maybe, that's what they were. Maybe they weren't even that. Whatever, he was done thinking about this. A day was enough, (which is what he said yesterday too by the way.)