Chapter 1: Engaging on a Truce

Toby Cavanaugh had never, uh, gotten along with his peers too well in high school. Most of them were lacrosse playing jerks who could supply a year's worth of douche with a single corny pick up line. They threw outrageous parties each weekend with their parents' money, and acted like complete snobs to anyone who couldn't flash them a smile of gold. He was lucky enough to not cross paths with many of them regularly, but he always had to be on the lookout. There was only one person whom he had uprooted a rivalry with; Spencer Hastings.

She just so happened to be a good friend of his best friend, Caleb Rivers. It was almost impossible to avoid her. Every time he thought he had gotten rid of her, there she was, waiting for him with her filthy little comments and crazy daggering eyes. No one was dating in this little trio, but Spencer was for sure the third wheel whenever the threesome gathered. He didn't understand how Caleb put up with her. He never would. It was an answer that he for sure knew he would never obtain.

And now he was going to see her. A lot of her. He was going have to spend time with her. "Possibly even time alone with her," Caleb taunted him with a sneer. He knew he was thoroughly enjoying this. He probably was enjoying whatever hectic Spencer was going through, too. Wow how he hated his best friend.

Caleb was getting married. To Hanna Marin. Toby knew her well. Right after High School, the two met. Toby actually knew her first. She had gone to a bar where Toby was playing at once. She was with one of new friends he had met in his Biology class, Emily Fields. They were then introduced, but Caleb had met Hanna another way that had no association with Toby. He met his fiancé through Spencer. Spencer was probably so giddy at the news of the two's marriage, most likely gloating to everyone she knew and even those she didn't know, that she was a grand matchmaker. Wow. She was already getting under his skin and he hadn't even seen her yet.

"Hey, you okay? You look like you just ate a bad burrito." Emily touched his shoulder, a smile placed on her features.

"Huh?" he looked at her, "Oh, no. I'm fine. I'm good."

"Right," Emily said, almost laughing. "Well, I'm ready. So, we should probably go before Hanna has another fit" Emily rolled her dark chocolate eyes, a tiny smile framing her mouth. Hanna and Emily knew each other since they were in diapers. Hanna was a few months older than Emily, but Emily acted as Hanna's older sister.

"Wouldn't want that," Toby commented.

"Exactly. So, let's get a move on, shall we?" she bounced her eyebrows up, giving him a slightly pointed look. He smiled at the brunette and followed her out the door.

Once they were settled in the car, and the radio played two pop hit singles that Toby really wished Emily would just turn off, she brought up the thing that he just had gotten his mind off of. (OK he was still thinking about it, whatever.)

"Are you being so quiet because you're going to see your little girlfriend?"

He felt like gagging upon the inference that she. Spencer Hastings. Was his girlfriend. "Come on Emily, I already have to deal with Caleb."

She laughed. "Wow, Caleb wasn't kidding about you freaking."

Toby didn't say anything in response. Partially out of annoyance, but mostly because it was the truth.

"She seems nice" Emily supplied, glancing over to him from behind the steering wheel.

"Yeah, nice for a demonic creature, I'm sure."

"Hmm, funny, she said the same thing about you" her voice almost hummed the words. She was enjoying it almost as much as Caleb was. "I've never seen you like this." she said after a pause.