Part 25

I woke up from a really loud sound. At first, I panicked because I had no idea what it was. The sound went on and soon enough I got used to it. It sounded like some kind of alarm. 

I got out of my bed, dressed and left my room. Everyone looked completely calm as if nothing was happening. Maybe it was all in my head. 

I bent down and squeezed my eyes shut trying to get rid of the annoying sound but it didn't stop.

"You okay?" someone asked from in behind me.

I turned to look. It was Minho.

"Yeah, I um... I just," I said.

I wasn't really sure if I could tell him about this sound because maybe I was the only one hearing it and maybe he would think I'm crazy, but he cut me off by saying. "Oh, I see. Don't worry. It's just a greenie alarm."

"A greenie what?" I asked confused.

"A greenie alarm," he said slightly annoyed, "every month when new greenie arrives the alarm goes off and continues for about half an hour and after that, we open the doors of the box and there's a greenie."

"Oh," was all I could say.

"Okay, I have to go now," he said. "See ya later, shank."

Then he went away.

At least now I knew that I wasn't crazy but I also knew that if the sound will continue any longer it would definitely drive me crazy. 

I looked around. Everyone was awake obviously because of the sound. Some people were already heading to the Homestead, to Frypan to get some breakfast but those people weren't a lot so I guessed that the breakfast is not ready yet so I decided to go and try to find a place where to hide from the sound.

I came up with the idea that I could try to hide deep in the Deadheads. But the though quite terrified me as well. What if Mason's friends are there too? What am I going to do then?

I went there even though I was super scared because the alarm was way worse right now.

I went deep in the Deadheads and sat down my back against one of the ivy-covered walls.  The ivy was so thick where I sat, it almost felt like I was laying in a soft bed. I could hardly hear the alarm from this place and it made me peaceful.

I drifted into sleep.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"What do we have here?" asked an all-too-familiar voice.

I didn't want to open my eyes. I was too afraid. Suddenly I felt cold and alone.

I slowly opened my eyes to see a group of boys standing in front of me. They intimidated me so much. It was a group of Mason's friends.

Only after a moment, I noticed baseball bats in their hands. Oh shit... I thought.

I was too terrified to say something so I remained quiet.

"How's our little zombie doing?" the boy said again.

I still didn't say anything.

He slapped me in the face. I was surprised that he didn't use his bat. The wound on my lip had opened and my mouth was covered in blood.

He leaned in closer trying to scare me more but I used the opportunity to spit the blood in his face and smile.

He quickly took my chin and cheeks in his hand and pressed cupping my face. It felt like he was about to break my cheekbones by squeezing them like that. I let out a moan not really meaning to do that.