Part 13

I sat there for some time and the walked out of the room. I didn't really know where I want or need to go so I just wandered around for a moment. I felt very confused, bored and lost.

When the Gathering finally ended, I waited nervously for Newt to come out of the Homestead. As Minho walked by me he grinned at me and giggled.

"Hey, what are laughing at?" I asked him but he didn't answer.

Newt came out of the Homestead together with Alby little bit later than others. Newt looked quite pissed off. When Newt spotted me, he smiled but then looked angrily at Alby. I wondered what's going on between them.

He walked up to me.

"So what have you decided? What job will I have?" I asked him as soon as he approached. 

"Hi, to you too," he said and laughed, "well, every Keeper, except for Minho wanted, you to work with them so it was hard to decide."

"Why would they want me? I was quite horrible at most of the jobs," I said confused. But realization came almost immediately and I let out a loud "Oh..." and laughed nervously.

"So, yeah. In the end, we decided that you'll be a... trrrrrrrr - drums playing... a track-hoe."

"A track-hoe?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, a track-hoe."

"Ughhh... it's one of the hardest jobs here," I groaned.

"Hey, princess, remember the rule number 3? Don't complain about your job."

"Yeah, I remember," I sighed angrily. "Do you remember what I had told you at the first day I arrived here? Don't you ever call me princess!"

I stared at him angrily but he smiled.

"Okay, so what do you want me to call you?"

"Call me Elle." 

He looked dissapointed.

"Okay, Elle, will you not complain about your job anymore?" He said with a smile all over his face. He was up to something. I could feel it.

"I don't know. It'll be hard," I answered him playfully.

"Then you better watch out, princess, or I'll tickle you to death." He said, laughed a fake evil laugh and reached for me but I had already started to run. 

I couldn't run properly because I was laughing too hard. When he caught me I felt on the ground laughing as he tickled me. I couldn't stop. There were literally tears coming from my eyes because I laughed so hard.

"Stooop!" Iyelled and laughed. "I won't complain, I won't..." 

He stopped for a moment. 

"Do you promise?" he said.

"I'm not sure about..." I couldn't finish my sentence because he started tickling me again.

"Yes, yes, I promise," I said fastly.

He finally stopped. 

"You're an evil person!" I said.

He laughed.

I hadn't noticed but we had run to the edge of the forest. Everyone had already started to work so it was quiet here. Newt laid down next to me. Our shoulders were touching as we both looked at the sky. 

"You're both so cute, guys," suddenly said Minho who had appeared here from nowhere.

"Minho, go away!" We both yelled at him. But it wasn't really an angry yell.

Minho laughed. "Alby just said that I need to tell you to go and do your jobs."

We both sighed and got up.

"We're coming," Newt said and stood up. Then he held a hand for me to help me stand up.

"Why aren't you in the Maze?" I asked Minho.

"Well, we had a gathering and it's too late for me to go out now," he answered.

Minho went off but Newt accompanied me to the Gardens. There we hugged goodbye.

"Remember! Don't complain!" he said and laughed.

I grinned, "you too, mister Slopper."

He laughed sarcastically and went off.  "See you later."

"Bye."

________________________________________________________________________________

I worked all day getting a break only at lunch. I ate lunch with Newt and Chuck. Chuck was telling funny storys (as always) and we all laughed. I think I really love this little boy. As a friend of course. 

I ended my job faster than all the other track-hoes because I obviously worked harder than all of them. They took lots of breaks to drink water. I used those breaks maybe only two or so times.

After work, I was sweaty and dirty throughout. I went to showers. A lot of boys were there but I went into one of the shower cabins anyway. 

I undressed and let the water wash over my dirty skin but then suddenly some boy opened the curtain. Iscreamed, quickly put a towel around me and my reflexes worked by hitting the boy in the face. He fell to the ground his nose bleeding. I was surprised that I had that much strength.

"If anyone tries to come in and look at me naked, he'll end up as the boy on the ground. Understood?" I said and looked at all the boys really angry.

I heard all the other boys saying or whispering "yes".

"Good that," I said and went back to shower.

No one interrupted me this time. I washed peacefully. I silently laughed at myself. 

After the shower, I put back on my clothes and went to my hammock. There I read my book for a while. At some moments I saw Newt running or walking around doing different things, Alby watching him almost all the time. It was pretty weird.

Soon enough I felt sleepiness filling me. I laid down and fell asleep.

Hey, guys. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you have any ideas you can write them down in comments. I hope you have a nice day! Love you. Bye.