Part 3

I was laying down on tree, when I heard someone approach. I jumped a little bit when someone touched me. I turned to see Newt sitting next to me and handing me a sandwich.

"I don't want to eat," I say to him even though I really want to.

"Oh yes, you do want to eat. Just take it!"

I took a sandwich and took a bite. I didn't realise I was that hungry. I ate it whole in few seconds. Then he handed me an apple which I didn't see before. I took a bite of it and started talking.

"So... why are you doing this? Why are you so nice when I'm acting so rude?"

"Well, I just want you to come down and stop being afraid."

"Maybe you just want to hit on me?" I say with a grin on my face.

"No I, I'm not trying to hit on you," he says while his face is blushing hard.

I start laughing. We talk about some random stuff for about an hour and after that, for some reason, I don't feel that afraid anymore. So I decide that maybe it's time to finally climb down and get to know this place.

"Can you show me around the place? My butt is very stiff from sitting here all night and I want to stretch out," I say looking at him with smile on my face.

"Okay. Let's go!" he says and we climb down the tree.

________________________________________________________________________________

As we reach ground I let out a big groan of relief. I strech my legs out a little bit and we start walking.

"So this place is called Glade. It's where we live, where we eat, where we sleep - we call ourselves Gladers. And there are few simple rules you need to follow: 1) Never go out of the walls into the maze unless you're a runner. 2) Don't pick fights with any of the other gladers. 3) You do your part in the glade, once you are given a job, you don't complain or whine or anything like that."

"A job?"

"Yes, everyone here has a job."

As we come out of the forest I see a lot of boys looking at me. I didn't like it.

"Why are they all looking at me? Am I weird or something?" I ask him interrupting him. That's when I realise I have no idea how I look.

"Do you guys have mirrors here? How do I even look? How old am I?" I ask him again, not letting him to answer first two questions.

"Well, you're the only girl here so that's bloody obvious that those shuck-faces are looking at you."

Ohh... I already forgot that I'm the only girl. I laugh nervously.

"And, no, we do not have any mirrors here, but I can tell you have a long brown hair, pretty blue eyes and beautiful smile. I think you're sixteen going on seventeen."

"Ohh..." is all I can say, "thanks!"

"Can we continue?"

"Sure."

We walk to the place where I arrived yesterday -The Box. 

"From this box, where you arrived, we are getting supplies every week and a new greenie like you comes her every month... Basically, Glade's cut into four sections." He held up his fingers as he counted off the next four words. "Gardens, Blood House, Homestead and Deadheads. Gardens is where we grow crops, Blood House - where we raise and slaughter animals, Homestead - It's where we go to eat or if we need some help from med-jacks. We also have showers and toilets there. The bloody place is twice as big as we first got here because we keep addin' to it when they send us wood and klunk. Ain't pretty but it works. Most of us sleep outside. Only the Keepers and some other people have their own room. And Deadheads is a graveyard back in that corner," he said pointing to the forest we had just come out, " in thicker woods. Ain't much else. You can go there to sit and rest, hang out, whatever."

I shivered. Graveyard? Why do they need a graveyard? They all seem so young and healthy.

Then he cleared his throat and started again. "You'll spend the next two weeks working one day apiece for our different job Keepers - until we know what you're best at. Slopper, Bricknick, Bagger, Track-hoe - somethin'll stick, always does."

Slopper? Bagger? Track-hoe?  All those words seemed so weird. I wanted to ask him about all those words they use but another boy approached. He was dark skinned and almost as tall as Newt, who actually was really tall compared to me. He radiated power.

"Hi, my name's Alby," he said reaching his hand for me.

"Elle,"I shook it as he went on.

"I'm the number one in command here and Newt, right next to me, is in command when I'm not around. I see you've already had a tour around the Glade and I hope you aren't going to run away from us again. As you see it's not that scary at all." 

Then there's a silence between us but a few moments later Alby continues, "I need to steel Newt from you now. Chuck, the small, chubby boy next to that big tree, will help you around the rest of the night. I've already told him so you can go and talk to him."

As he says that, he turns and walks away with Newt. 

I stand there feeling the fear coming back as I'm left alone. But then I see Newt looking back and smiling at me. It gives me a little bit of courage as I walk to Chuck boy. 

Thanks, guys for reading. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. What do you think will happen next? If you have some ideas, what I should write next, write in comments. Probably will post net part tomorrow. Love you! Bye