Part 16

Elle

Everything was very dark. My head hurt a little bit and I felt dizzy. I could see nothing, smell nothing, fell nothing. I could only hear some distant voices but they didn't really make any sense. I had no idea who was talking or what was the person saying. It felt like I was just floating around, floating around in the darkness.

Newt

After we had locked up Mason, I headed straight to the Homestead. I sat down next to the room where Elle must have been.

I waited for a while when finally Clint and Jeff came out of the room. There was blood on their hands and that made me even more nervous than I already was.

"How is she?" I asked worriedly.

"Well, we did everything we could. But don't worry she'll live. Hopefully..." Clint said.

"Hopefully?" I asked.

"We can't know for sure. She has lost a lot of blood and she's very weak but we'll do everything we can to keep her alive," Clint said his voice very calm.

"But for now we need to transfer her to another room and put her in bed so she could rest," Jeff added.

"Can I go and see her? Please! I need to," I begged.

"Sorry, Newt, but not today. She needs to rest. We'll..."

"No, I want to see her. I need to make sure she's alright. I need to..." I said, almost yelled, cutting him off and then felt a tear run down my cheek

Clint put an encouraging hand on my shoulder and said, "Newt, go get some rest. You really need some. She's going to be okay. I promise you."

I slowly got up and headed to my room. There I fell on my bed and I could feel I was about to start crying. I tried to stop them but the tears came anyway. I then punched the wall in anger and frustration. I was so very worried about her I couldn' t take it.

After about an hour, someone knocked on the door. I didn't answer. I just laid on my bed and looked at the ceiling.

The person came in.

"Hi, Newt," he said.

I recognized the voice immediately.

"Hi, Chuck," I said and sighed, "I know that I need to get back to work... I will be there in a sec."

"Actually, I brought you your lunch. And... you can take a day off. You deserve it," he said and tried to smile.

I looked at him and saw that he had cried too.

I took the plate from him and put it aside. He's such a sweet boy.

"Come here, Chuck," I said, "sit down."

He slowly came and sat down. Then he looked at me with puffy eyes.

"Is she going to be okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, she is," I said with a smile and rubbed his hair lightly.

He hugged me and whispered. "I really hope so." For a moment it made me feel like Chuck's big brother. I wanted to protect this kid at all costs. 

Then he stood back up.

"Okay, I'll go now. Got some work to do. Enjoy your lunch. See you later," he said and fastly went out of the room.

I slowly ate my lunch and then decided to get up. If I'm not going to do anything I'll drive myself crazy with my thoughts.

I quickly found Chuck and asked him what could I do. There had been a slaughter in the Bloodhouse so I needed to clean up the place.

I worked until dinner.

At dinner, I and Chuck sat with all the runners. They were always so loud and this time it was even good because if they were loud it was easier to join the conversations and try not to think about Elle.

I didn't succeed anyway. I couldn't stop thinking about her no matter how hard I tried.

I couldn't take it anymore so after dinner I sneaked in the Homestead and went to find Elle. I didn't really know in which room she was in so I checked all of them hoping not to run into Clint or Jeff.

After about a half an hour of searching, I found Elle laying in bed in one of the furthest rooms of the Homestead.

I slowly walked to her. She was very pale and looked very weak but her breathing was steady.

I took her hair out of her face and stroked her cheek.

"Oh... Elle," I said and felt a single tear run down my cheek.

Elle

I just couldn't take it anymore. Floating in darkness with absolutely nothing around you wasn't very fun. I wanted to scream and shout, I wanted to feel something but nothing came. I just floated in darkness.

Newt

I sat down on the chair next to the bed and looked at her. I hoped she would be better soon.

I was sitting there watching Elle when suddenly Clint came into the room.

"What are you doing here?" he asked angry and surprised, "you can't be here. She needs to rest."

"But I just wanted..." I started to say but stopped because I didn't really know what I wanted. Actually, I knew. I wanted to be with her all the time. I wanted to keep her safe. I wanted, I wanted her to be well again. I think Clint wouldn't give a damn so I decided not to say anything.

"What did you want?" he asked again.

"I was quiet anyway. Why can't I just..."

"Because you can't," he cut me off.

We were now whisper-yelling at each other.

"But I..." I started to say but then suddenly we heard a moan from Elle.

We ran closer to her. She was squeezing her eyes shut and there were tears running down her cheeks but she didn't make any other sound.

"Elle, Elle..." I said to her but then turned to Clint, "what's happening with her?"

I felt the worry rising in me again.

"I don't know," he said visibly worried as well.

We stared at her not knowing what to do. After a moment, she stopped and her face went totally calm again.

"I think we need to leave her alone," Clint whispered.

"Uh... Um... But if this happens again?"

"She needs to rest. She'll be better alone. At least for now. We'll come back tomorrow and see if something had changed."

"Okay," I sighed agreeing and we went out of the room.

Elle

I was still floating silently in the darkness when I suddenly heard distant voices. I couldn't really understand who was talking and what were they saying but they definitely were people talking.

I enjoyed the moment of feeling something but then suddenly the voices turned into a loud screeching and screaming sounds. I tried to scream but nothing came out. I couldn't do anything. Everything hurt and everything was so loud.

After a moment everything fell silent again and the boring floating in darkness started all over again.

Newt

I headed to my room and laid on my bed. I couldn't stop thinking about what could have happened to Elle. I just couldn't stop thinking of her. So that was what I did - thought about her until I fell asleep from tiredness.

Hey, guys. Here's the new part. Hope you enjoyed. Have a nice day. Love you. Bye.