Part 15

Next morning I woke up late. Everyone was already in Homestead eating their breakfast so I headed there too. I was eating my breakfast alone sitting at a free table when suddenly Newt sat down next to me.

"Elle, we need to talk about something," he said, "you can't..."

I cut him off, "I'm not interested."

Then I got up and went away throwing the rest off the food in the trash can. I heard Newt sigh. I looked back and saw him burying his head in his hands.

I went to the Gardens and started working. All track-hoes were already there and I was a little bit late.

Zart asked me to go after some compost in the woods. I took a bucket and a shovel and headed to the woods. The compost was in the deep end of the forest next to the Dead-heads.

I leaned down to put the compost in the bucket when suddenly someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Newt, come on. I already said that I won't talk to you," I said while turning around. I really thought that it was Newt.

But when I turned around I saw another person standing in front of me and let out a gasp. It was Mason.

"Hello, Elle," he said with a grin.

I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I looked at my stomach and saw a knife sticking from it. I gasped one more time and fell to the ground.

He said something more but I just couldn't concentrate.

I looked at my stomach again and saw my shirt all soaked with blood.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," he said again and kicked me in my face.

Then everything went black.

Newt

I woke up this morning with a thought that I need to talk to Elle. I really didn't want her to get hurt by some other guy.

I had spent two sleepless nights thinking about her. How could she flirt so easily with everyone? I felt indescribable anger and jealousy to all the guys. I just didn't want her to go in the Maze because it was very dangerous and it all turned out like this.

I tried to talk with Elle this morning at breakfast but she just casually said, she didn't care, and went away. I just couldn't take it. 

I couldn't help but look after her all day just like I did all the days before. I had a feeling that something really bad is going to happen so I was very worried all the time.

I had to do my slopping job but I couldn't concentrate. Chuck was constantly reminding me of my job.

When Elle headed to the woods I decided that it is a good opportunity to talk to her. I followed her going behind her with a big space between us.

As I entered the forest I heard Mason's voice. I freaked me out and I started to run. When I finally got to the place where Mason and Elle was I saw him kicking her in the face with his leg.

"Nooooo," I yelled scared for Elle and very angry at Mason. I jumped on Mason and he fell to the ground. I kept hitting him and yelling at him.

Only when Mason was unconscious I turned to see Elle.

"Are you oka..." I started to say but then I saw a knife sticking from her stomach and her t-shirt all soaked with blood.

"No, no," I said quietly but then started yelling, "no, no, no, no, no, no. Elle, Elle, do you hear me? Elle!"

"Help! Bloody hell... someone please help," I cried out loudly.

I took her on my hands and tried to run out of the forest as fastly as possible. Running was hard because of my limp and I kept stumbling all the time.

"Elle, everything is gonna be okay. Everything is gonna be okay," I kept repeating to her but I think I was saying it more to myself than to her.

There were still tears running down my cheeks.

I quickly carried her in the Homestead. I ran to the room where med-jacks worked and called for Clint and Jeff.

I carefully put her on the table. Clint and Jeff pushed me away to look at her and asked me what had happened.

"I, I don't know. I was just walking in the woods when I saw Mason kicking her in the face. Then I saw that she had a knife in her stomach and quickly carried her here," I said.

I was crying again.

"Okay, Newt, calm down, please. We're going to see what can we do. You can, please, leave now and we will find you later," Clint said.

"But... I, I..." I started to say but Clint cut me off.

"Newt, just go away now," he yelled

I nodded and went out of the room. I went out of the Homestead and sat on the grass my back against a tree. Alby came to me.

"What happened, Newt? Why were you yelling a few moments ago," he asked.

"Elle, Elle... She was stabbed. And I needed to get here to the Med-jacks," I answered. There was undoubtedly a worry in my voice.

"Who stabbed her?" He asked his face stone cold and his voice completely calm.

"Mason," I said sadly but then repeated more angrily, "Mason..."

I quickly got up surprising Alby with my sudden movement.

"That shuck-face," I said and headed back to the forest.

I started running and Alby followed me.

I ran to Mason. He was now sitting and grinning at me and Alby.

"You..." I started to say and tried to punch him but Alby was faster and he pulled me back.

"I'm going to kill him," I yelled and tried to get out of his tight grip and hit Mason.

Alby pulled me away again.

"Newt, calm down!" He said.

"I'm gonna..."

He cut me off by slapping me. That really surprised me.

"Newt, listen to me," he said, "council will decide what will we do with him and you will be able to offer to banish him but you can't kill him yourself and you can't hit him anymore if you want not to spend more time in the Slammer or get banished yourself. It's your choice now."

He released me then. I took a deep breath.

"Okay," I said still trying to calm myself down.

"Good that," Alby said. "Now we need to drag him to the Slammer and lock him up there until we decide what to do with him."

I took Mason by one hand and Alby took him by another. We pulled him up and started walking. For my surprise, Mason wasn't even arguing or trying to free himself. He just walked with us and laughed his awful laugh.

Hey, guys! I somehow managed to write something. Were you expecting this to happen? I think not. Really hope you liked this part. Have a wonderful day. Love you. Bye.