'WHY DO YOU CALL ME THAT?'

Damien's P.O.V

No. No. No. No God not again!

Why was this happening to her?

She looked so weak already and now that she was finally recovering, she got an attack.

It happened when I was inside.

We were talking and laughing for an hour or so when suddenly her eyes had opened wide as if she was trying to reach out to somewhere. She gasped for air. Then her fingers grasped mine and then she started saying my name over and over again.

That was when I had rushed out and shouted for the doctor. The doctor had come in and straightaway told the nurse to shift Lana to the operation Theatre.

Everything was a chaos but through all of that, she was muttering my name. Like her life depended on it.

And it hurt. Hurt that she was going through so much pain. It reflected in her eyes.

Even now she was inside the operation theatre.

She looked so small and fragile through the glass window. But then my eyes slid further down to see all the instruments that the doctors were using on her.

How could someone so small and fragile stand so much pain?

Indeed her eyes were closed because of the anesthesia that the doctor had given her. Her face looked peaceful. Like she was only asleep. But I knew better.

The doctor came out after a while and told us to let her rest while the nurses took care of her. The doctor urgently wanted to talk to her parents. There was definitely something that he wasn't telling us. So I called up Lana's dad and handed over the phone to the doctor.

Her parents were still not here. They were coming tomorrow. But I guess they will change their plan now that Lana's condition is worse.

Now I followed the doctor who was talking to Lana's dad. I don't think the doctor really noticed because he was in a hurry to tell him about something.

"Yes Dr. Wilson. Its urgent for you to be here...... No, I haven't told anyone about it right now....... I will only do it once you tell me to...... No, Lana doesn't know it herself."

I was confused.

What didn't Lana know??

"Dr. Wilson, I understand that you have work but this is important. She had the first attack few minutes ago.......... She has a lot of time right now but still, her condition is becoming worse....... No, she can do everything normally, but she will have to take her medicines......Yes sir, she has about a year and a half..... Sir, its not easy to cure and thank god Lana was in that accident or it would have been late. She is strong that her body has held up against it till now, or people easily die of blood cancer..........."

And then I couldn't hear a word he said, because my world was tumbling down.

Lana Wilson. My sunshine. Has blood cancer. And what's worse, she doesn't even know. She doesn't know that all she has is a year and a half to fully live. 

And knowing her, I know that she would be happy.

It was her wish to die of cancer. I know it sounds weird. But she has always been obsessed with pain. She says that she would want to face what all of the victims do. She always wanted to face the worst of pains. And now, she was one of the victims.

The doctor turned around while cutting the call, and his eyes widened when he saw me. 

"Gentleman, you shouldn't tell Lana what I just told Dr. Wilson. I know that it will be a big secret to keep but you have to. Because I know from experience that once you know that you are going to die, you stop living." With that, he gave me back my phone and walked away, with a sympathetic smile on his face. 

But as he was about to disappear round the corner I called him out.

"Doctor?" I asked, knowing that this question will kill me.

"Yes dear?"

"Lana surely has a year and a half right?" I asked, hesitantly.

" That's the maximum, after that we can only hope for it." He said and walked away.

I stood there while I contemplated the news. 

Whatever is ahead of us, I will make sure that my sunshine has the time of her life.

With determination I walked  towards her ward. As soon as I reached a nurse came rushing out.

"Who is Damien here?" She asked.

" I am." I said, slightly confused.

"Well Lana isn't listening to anyone and she only wants to see you right now." She said, irritated.

Ahh... Sunshine can be stubborn sometimes.

"Just coming." I said and moved inside the room.

As soon as I entered I heard a sigh escape from Lana mouth.

"Damien! Thank god you are here. These people aren't ready to leave me alone. Please tell them to move out, tell them you will help me eat." She said in a childish behaviour.

"Okay fine sunshine." I said and then looked at the nurses. "Please." I said, pleadingly.

The nurses huffed and moved out.

"Alright, so what is there to eat?" I asked while sitting beside her and picking up the plate.

"I dont know. I just didn't like their company." She said, pouting.

I chuckled. "Okay sunshine."

I slowly made her eat. Her eyes had started drooping in the middle so I put the plate aside and moved closer to her. I started playing with her hair.

Just when she was about to sleep she asked-" Why do you call me that?" 

"Call you what?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Sunshine. Why do you call me that?" She asked.

I was surprised by the question. So I took some time to figure out the answer myself. And I guess by the time I actually muttered the answer she was already asleep.

I had leaned in closer to her face and right next to her ear I whispered-

"Its because I get up everyday to only see you. You are like the first sunshine of the morning. You are what I define as reality." And then I kissed her temple and got up. But I didn't miss the smile that grew on Lana's face.

I exited the room. 

She definitely liked the fact. And whatsoever happens it will remain like that.

She will always remain something that I call mine. My sunshine.

________________________________________________________________________________

Loads of love,

Mia.