Chapter two: New Guy

I look back at Gale and guide him over to one of the spare tables. We take our seats and look at the hot food and drinks menu that sits in the middle of the table. But I just use reading the menu to secretly look at the boy at the counter. He looks about my age, but I've never seen him before.

When Gale has decided what he wants to drink, I insist that I be the one to go up to the counter and order.

"Hello, what can I do for you?" asks the boy at the counter. He gives me a small smile, which makes me blush and my heart beat really fast.

"Uh- can I get two hot chocolates?" he jots it down and puts the piece of paper through a shoot behind him that must lead to the back room.

"Yes. Anything else?" His voice is just so beautiful, I feel as if I'm dreaming.

"Maybe later."

"The drinks should be about 5 minutes."

"Okay. Do you want me to pay now?"

"If you want, or you can when you come back for your drinks."

"My bag's at my table so I'll pay when I get the drinks."

"Thank you." I turn to go back to my table, when he quietly calls, "Hey, excuse me!"

I turn back to see that he's talking to me. "Yes?"

"Do you go to the school here?"

"Yes. Why?"

"I'm just starting there this semester. I just moved here with my family at the start of the break."

"That's why I didn't recognise you."

"I guess. So, what year are you in?"

"I'm starting as a Junior this year."

"So am I. Now I'll know someone." I can't help but smile a bit at his comment.

"Peeta!" a voice calls, as it's owner comes through the door leading to the back door. He hands the boy at the counter two hot chocolates. "Thank you."

"Peeta." I say, under my breath.

"Yes." says the boy at the counter, how did he hear that.

"Oh, that's your name." I say stupidly. Why did I say that, think of something to say, "I'm Katniss."

"Nice to meet you Katniss, I believe that these," he gestures to the hot chocolates "are yours."

"Thank you. I uh still need to pay." I turn and head back to my table. I grab my bag off my seat and turn back in pursuit of the counter, when I feel something on my arm. When I turn back around I see that Gale has hold of me. I'd completely forgotten he came here with me.

"Yes?" I say a little too curtly.

"Where's the drinks?"

"Forgot my purse, I'm going to pay and get them now."

I head back over to the counter, still annoyed at Gale but I'm not sure why.

"Hey, how much?" I ask Peeta, gesturing towards the hot chocolates.

"Just $5" I hand him the money and go back to where Gale still sits. We sit there for the next 5 minutes as we finish our drinks, then we leave. I walk through the door after Gale, and as I do, I turn my head and give Peeta a small smile which he returns.

Gale and I walk back to the front door of my house.

"Have a good time on your trip." I give him a sad smile.

"I'll try. But it'll be hard that your not there." I give him a hug, and then a long kiss.

"I love you." he whispers.

"I love you too."

Then he leaves.

=================

please comment tell me what you think so far. What next?