Chapter 52: The Dawn Service

Beth raised her gun, shooting at the closeby invader. The sound of gunfight and screams echoed in her ears, the darkness of night restricting her ability to see.

"There's people in the prison, you need to get out of here now."

Her eyes scanned the dead and wounded lying on the grey of the prison floor. The invaders piled their bodies, grinning and lighting cigarettes at their victory.

The group had put up a fair fight but at the end, the manpower and intelligence of the invaders was too much for them.

"Joe claimed some pretty bitch, got her chained to one of those cells like a damn pet. Next girl I see is gonna get claimed quickly; need myself a toy ta play with."

The other main laughed loudly, puffing smoke from between his thin lips. "Wouldn't mind a pair o' tits myself," he replied. "God knows us men need to get a bit of ol' sweet love, right, man?"

Beth stared at the old man lying on the floor in a pool of blood. His white hair was matted and foul, and scarlet blood, most likely his own, stained his clothes.

"Daddy," she whispered, choking on the words.

This was too real and too cruel. Not only had she lost her sister, her mother, Shawn and Daryl,  but now her father had left her too.

She bit down on her tongue to keep from crying, raising her gun. Her whole body shook as she pulled the trigger, sending a bullet into the chest of the man with the thin lips.

Before she could react, something sharp pierced her arm and she fell, vision blurring. "No!" she shrieked, her voice striking the silent air.

The other man stood in front of her, grinning in delight. "Well, looky here. I caught myself a blonde bitch. Sweetie, you're claimed."

"You killed me dad," she screamed, anger fueling her voice. "You killed my family, you assholes. They're all gone because of you."

"Wait 'til I get you all alone," he grinned. "We're gonna have some wild times."

Beth searched her mouth for saliva before hurling it into his face. "I'm taken," she replied bitterly as he wiped at his wet cheeks.

"You little-" he grumbled, raising a hand to her.

"Step away from the girl," a voice growled through the darkness. "Leave 'er be,  you jackass."

The guy rose, spinning to look around. It was too dark to see the approaching predator and his worry grew.

"Sh-Show yourself."

"Step away and I just might," the voice replied.

The guy nodded, eyes widened in fear. "Don't shoot, man. We're cool. Just looking for a piece o' ass, you know?"

"You want an arrow through the heart?"

The man gulped in fear, raising his hands. "N-no," he managed.

"Then shut up."

"You can have blondie," he offered  nervously. "She fights too much anyway, man. Shot my friend."

Beth imagined her saviour grinning, squeezing her eyes shut in fear.

"That's my girl," the voice drawled.

An arrow hit the guy, his body falling with a loud thud to the prison floor. The sound of his dying screams filled her ears and echoed through the prison walls.

"Beth?" the voice said through the darkness. "Beth?"

She opened her eyes, letting them adjust to the darkness. "Daryl?" she cried. "They killed dad, they killed my dad."

"I know," he whispered, lowering to the ground to hold her shaking body.

"They killed my dad," she sobbed into his shirt, clutching him with both hands. "I tried to fight back but they shot me and it hurts-" she trailed off, scarlet blood soaking her side.

"Beth," Daryl interrupted, stroking the hair away from her face. "I- I remember now."

She nodded as she hugged his torso, allowing happiness to wash over her. "I love you, Daryl Dixon," she whispered.

"I love you too, Greene."

From somewhere around them, the sound of gunshots sliced through the air, and despite the death and fighting, Daryl pressed his lips to hers, vowing to never let her go again.