Chapter 14: The Mistaken Identity

Beth's eyes wandered over to Rick, who was standing outside the door, waiting for them. Daryl pushed her back into the room and she heard the door shut softly. "Grimes," Daryl acknowledged gruffly.

"Where's Carol? Glenn said you two have been in there a while; we heard."

Beth clasped a hand to her mouth to stop from correcting Rick's mistake. Carol? Daryl and... CAROL? Everyone thought Carol had sex with Daryl? she thought to herself.

She heard footsteps clanging away from her and sighed, opening the door. "Carol?" she whispered to Daryl. He shrugged, "Com' on, I'm 'ungry," he replied, changing the subject. Beth stood with her feet on the ground and refused to move. "Carol?" she repeated loudly. Daryl turned. "Shit, gir', can we go?" Beth sighed, angrily. "I just want to know. Does this mean they think you guys are together?"

Daryl shrugged again. "I'm gettin' somethin' to eat, 'kay?"

***************************************************************************************************************************

Daryl stared over at Beth, whose steady blue eyes were focused on him and the woman next to him. "I'm getting some more to ea'," he grumbled, standing with his bowl.

Could he do that? he thought. Let everyone think he liked Carol; make Beth feel the way she's feeling?

"I heard you and Carol before. Way to make us all look bad, Maggie hasn't shut up about it," Glenn mumbled, looking over at Daryl. He grinned, then remembered the young girl and stopped. "Look ba'?" he asked, quietly. Glenn frowned, "Yeah. Hey, Rick!" he called, turning from Daryl and passing a bowl to the sheriff. "I owe you my boots. You were right about Carol, I always had my money on Beth, don't know why."

They both walked away, leaving Daryl to help himself to some more food. "Daryl?" Carol hummed beside him. "Wha'?" he muttered. "I know about you and Beth and I'm sorry about them thinking we're... We're having sex but I was just trying to cover for you."

"It don' matt'r, I don' care, bitch," he replied gruffly, taking his bowl and walking away from her.

Beth sighed, watching Carol talking to Daryl. Her fork clanged against the rim of her bowl as she pushed her food around. All the thinking had made her tired; she wasn't hungry anymore.

"Beth?" Rick called. She turned and nodded, walking over to him and following him into his cell. "What happened to you and Daryl?" Beth shrugged, "Nothing, I guess. Is my sister okay, can I see her?" Rick placed a hand on her shoulder, his other hand hovering over his gun, "What is Carol? Or was it you?"

She kicked her feet softly against the concrete, sighing. "It wasn't me," she squeaked. Tears brimmed in her eyes but she forced them down; What if everyone expected Carol and Daryl to like... Kiss or have sex again?

"I didn't..." she said but Rick interrupted her. He grabbed her around the waist and pulled her into his chest. "I know it was you and I'm sorry. But unless you want them to know about Daryl and you... I told Carol to tell everyone it was her. I don't think you should have done that; not with Daryl. I have a lot of respect for him and you but Beth you're much too young for someone like that."

She nodded her head against his chest and pulled away slowly. "I can't..." she breathed. "Daryl," she said, removing herself from Rick's grasp.

"If you didn't have Hershel, you'd be like a daughter to me, you still are. You were very kind after Lori's death and you're very sweet to Judith. I can't ever repay that, but please don't do this. You need to tell Maggie or Hershel-"

"I..." Beth choked.

"I love him but... That silly redneck with his bow and his stupid accent annoys the hell out of me sometimes and nothing you say can or will change my mind about him, Rick."

He nodded. "Does Daryl know?" Beth shrugged, "Know what?" "That you love him?" Rick whispered in reply. She nodded again, "Yes."

"Good," Rick sighed, the trace of a hidden smile on his lips, "Because he's standing right behind you."

HOPEFULLY ANOTHER CHAPTER TONIGHT BUT SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT. I'M HOLDING A CHARACTER CONTEST FOR A WOODBURY PERSON WHO IS GOING TO BE FEATURED AND MENTIONED IN THIS FANFIC, YOU'LL NEED TO FILL THIS OUT AS A COMMENT OR A MESSAGE:

NAME:

AGE:

OCCUPATION:

ABILITIES OR TRAITS:

LOOKS/APPEARANCE:

LOVE INTEREST OR BOYFRIEND:

FAMILY?:

THE ONLY THING I HAVE ABOUT ABILITIES IS TWO THINGS. CHOOSE ONE OF THESE- (INTELLIGENT, BRAVE, ARTISTIC, FRIENDLY, EVIL, HOPELESS ROMANTIC, FLIRTY, NATURAL-MOTHER, NATURAL-COOK OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS) AND ONE OF THESE- (HANDY: MECHANICS OR HOUSE-WIFE, GOOD-AIM, HUNTING, KNOWS ABOUT GUNS OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.)

LOVE INTERST HAS TO BE SOMEONE REALISTIC, THE GUYS- (RANDOM WOODBURY RESIDENT, THE GOVERNOR'S EX-GIRL TOY, CRUSHING ON CARL/HERSHEL/TYREESE) AND THE GIRLS- (RANDOM WOODBURY RESIDENT, LIKED MILTON/BOWMEN OR MARTINEZ, CRUSHING ON CAROL/MICHONNE/SASHA.)

THANKS, LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH, YOU'RE THE BEST, XOXO, AMY.