Chapter 17: Hard Times

Beth felt scared, for a harsh minute that made her heart beat out of her chest.

Her feet hit the rustling leaves beneath her and they crunched under her weight. She looked around; there were trees of oranges and browns surrounding her.

"Daryl?" she called out, her voice shaking as she took another step forward, wincing as the leaves screamed beneath her feet. There was an unsteady silence that shook her whole body as she continued to move forward slowly, slowly, slowly.

Beth could hear a moan, coming from the direction behind the trees. She held her breath and began to walk over, trying to be as quiet as she could.

"Hello?"

***************************************************************************************************************************

"Shu' up," Daryl mumbled to her. Beth nodded, her whole body still shaking, she leant over and whispered into his ear. "I had another nightmare," she whispered softly, the dream still continuing in her head.

"Sorry," he sighed, pulling her in to his chest, "I didn' know."

Beth kissed his lips gently then pulled back, "Rick.... He caught us last night."

"Yeah, what a fuckin' pervert," Daryl retorted. "Ya really care abou' tha'? We're lucky it wasn' Maggie or yu'r dad," he continued. There was a tone of mocking in his voice, but Beth could tell he was annoyed at what happened. She muttered her apology and pulled back into his bare chest.

His chest was warm against her soft cheek, the absence of his shirt made her happy. It meant he trusted her, it meant he really did love her. Daryl wasn't one to love people and not just fuck them and leave; he trusted her enough to stay there with her and hold her to his chest while she cried after endless nightmares night after night.

"Daryl," Aislynn called, her voice ringing around the cells of the prison.

He stretched an arm and yawned, "Here," he grunted. The young girl walked in, putting a hand on the door. "Ooh, sorry," she gasped, covering her eyes with her hand and turning away. "Rick sai' he's goin' on a run with Glenn, he wants ya to go," she said.

"Yu' got food?" Daryl asked, peering at his cousin through one open eye. She nodded and dug into her pocket, pulled something out and threw it to him, "Eat up, we're going soon."

Beth stared at Daryl, who's eyes were narrowed at her. "Yu' ain't goin'," he scoffed back in reply. Aislynn sighed, "Why not? I can shoot, Carl taught me and he's been helping me and all. I'm goin' whether you like it or no'. Yu ain't my dad, he's dea'."

There was a long silence until Aislynn turned and walked away, pulling the cell door shut with a loud yawn.

"She's like you," Beth said, running a hand over his naked chest. His body shook in anger, "Bitch ain't goin'."

Beth scoffed, "Can I?"

He muttered his reply, and rolled over, pulling the blanket around him with a loud huff. Beth pressed her body to his and put her arms around his waist. "Why not?"

"I'm no' gonna let anyone else die. I love yu', why woul' I let that happ'n?" he sighed. His voice was harsh but the words in them made Beth's heart melt; He was so protective and cared so much but no one else in the prison ever got to see this side of him, ever. "Why can you go?" She felt his shoulders shrug against her chest and snuggled into his closer.

The door to their cell slowly slid open, making a screeching noise. They both shot up to see Maggie in the doorway. "I thought I told him not to touch you?" she asked.

Beth opened her eyes wide and moved closer into Daryl, shielding his naked chest with her body. "I don't care," she replied with a scoff. There was nothing that was going to keep her from him; ever. "Daddy!" Maggie called into the prison halls.

There was the harsh sounds of Hershel's crutches on the concrete ground and his head peered into the cell.

"Beth," he exclaimed in shock.

Rick, who was walking past, stopped dead in his path, and stood, his head turned towards the crowd gathered in the cell. "Is there a problem?" he asked Maggie and Hershel. They both scoffed in unison and Maggie glared. "You know about them? My sister and him? Just because we went on a supply run together doesn't mean I support this... This relationship!"

"I know about them," he replied, pushing past Beth's sister and dad to stand next to Beth, who was shaking in fear.

HELLO AGAIN, GUYS AND GIRLS.

NEW CHAPTER. ANY PREDICTIONS FOR CHAPTER 18?

I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE I'VE MADE IT THIS FAR AND IT'S JUST BECAUSE OF YOU ALL. I HOPE YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER, CAN'T WAIT TO WRITE THE NEXT ONE.

ALSO, WHO ELSE DO YOU THINK SUPPORTS THEIR RELATIONSHIP/DOESN'T? DO YOU THINK CAROL, CARL, AISLYNN, GLENN OR ANYONE ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF APPRECIATES THEM BEING TOGETHER?

ANYWAY, THANKS SO MUCH. I LOVE YOU ALL, LIVE LONG AND PROSPER, AMY.