Chapter 5: I'm Not Gonna Hurt You

When they got back to the prison cells, Beth removed her hand from around Daryl’s finger. Shaking as she hugged his side. “Thank you,” she said quietly, burrowing herself into his chest, while he stood, flailing his arms.

Daryl didn’t push her off, he let her hold onto him as she squeezed his torso. She removed herself from him and tucked her hair behind her ear nervously. He walked past her, nudging her shoulder, and she sighed, she was afraid she might have made a mistake. Poor, Daryl, she thought, he’s probably not used to this.

Daryl pushed his way past Rick who nudged him back, “We need to talk,” he muttered. Daryl turned, “What ‘bout, Grimes? Whatev’r it is, I don’ have time for it,” he grunted in reply. Rick grabbed his arm, “About Beth. You teaching her to shoot?” he asked. Daryl scoffed, “So?” There was a brief silence as Beth walked past them, shooting Daryl a hopeful glare before hanging her head and walking over to Carol. “Hershel doesn’t like it. He’d rather have someone...” he trailed off.

“What? He’d rather have someone what?” he questioned, angrily. Rick put a hand to his forehead and ran it through his hair. “Maggie, Glenn... Me,” he replied. “He just doesn’t know you well enough.”

Daryl scoffed again, “We’ve been at this fucking prison for atleast a month now. I saved Glenn and your ass. I’m sick of everyon’ not trusting me. I was just teaching her to shoot," he said angrily, raising his voice. "Move out the fucking way, Grimes,” he said, gruffly, pushing past him.

There was an eerie silence as Daryl made his way to his cell, Carol stared on in wonder as Beth sat at a table, bowl in hand, watching the scene unfold before her. "Dad?" she said, looking across at her father, who was holding a rather large book, reading out to her. He stopped and looked up at her, "Yes?" She pushed her food around to one corner of the bowl and sighed. "Why can't Mr Dixon teach me? He's a good teacher," she asked, fluttering her eyelids to reveal her innocent blue eyes.

Carol looked over and Beth could feel everyone's eyes on them, it unnerved her. "Don't you trust him?" she asked almost angrily, pushing herself away from the table. "Daddy?" she said, scared of his answer. "Shall I get back to reading?" Hershel said, reverting his eyes back to the heavy book in his thick fingers. "Don't you trust him?" she repeated, rising from the table. Hershel didn't reply, he pretended to feign extreme interest in the cover of the book. "'Cuse me," she muttered, walking away from the table.

She found her way to Daryl's lone cell and knocked awkwardly on it. "Get out," he said through his pillow. Beth sighed, "I trust you," she told him. "You saved Glenn and Rick and me, and I trust you. You don' have to keep teaching me if you want," she continued, shyly. Daryl looked up from his pillow and grunted. "Wha'?"

"I... uh, trust you, Mr. Dixon," she replied sleepily, pushing a porcelain hand to her delicate lips to cover an escaping yawn. "Cut out that Mr. Dixon shit, I don' need that."

Beth nodded quickly and licked her lips, looking at the hair strewn across his bare chest. "I think I should give you your gun back, my father doesn't want me carrying, especially after our fight."

Daryl scoffed, "Ya call tha' a fight, pussy?" Beth cringed at his word and muttered to him to not cuss but he ignored it. "I do everything for this group, I get the food for y'all and you repay me by being assholes to me? My brother just fuckin' died and yu' think this is okay?" he said, standing face to face with Beth, looking down at her disapprovingly. She muttered once again to him to stop cussing and placed a hand to his chest. "Don't," she whispered. Her mother had told her about men like him. The tough ones with no morals who didn't care about the laws or rules. The rednecks. She'd heard stories. "Don't hurt me," Beth whispered to him.

He scoffed again almost in disgust. "Hur' yu'? Who do yu' think I am, bitch?" he snapped, moving backwards. Beth whimpered and cringed at the word, as he slammed his hand down on the cot and brought her small hands to her lips, "Please," she begged him as he raised his hand at her. "Don't hurt me."

There was a silence as Daryl sat with down, with his head in his hands. "I ain't my father, you fuckin' bitch! I ain't never hit a girl!"

Beth nodded and went to walk out when a hand spinned her around and she was pressed against someone's warm body. "I'm not gonna hurt yu'," Daryl whispered into his ear. Beth moved her head up and down against his bare chest. Her hands moved up to his stomach and she rested her hands against him.

BANG

Daryl and Beth broke apart, both muttering something about talking, before looking at the shocked Carol standing in the doorway. "Sorry, but Judith wanted Beth," she said to Daryl and he nodded as Beth took the baby between her hands, rocking her back and forth against her body. She cast a look over her shoulder at the redneck, who was lowering himself into the bed, and turned, bending down to kiss him on the cheek. Daryl pulled away softly but let her place her lips upon his rough skin.

"Goodnight, Dixon," Beth muttered to him, her lips brushing his cheek, holding a now-wriggling Judith in her steady hands.

SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER, BUSY WITH LOADS OF SCHOOL WORK AND DANISNOTONFIRE AND AMAZINGPHIL VIDEOS TO WATCH BUT FOLLOW, VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER. THANKS SO MUCH! AMY OUT!