Chapter 20: You're Safe, Greene, For Now

The warm presence of Daryl's body against Beth's felt nice when she woke.

His heavy arm was around her and his head buried into the crook of her neck as his breath tickled her softly as he breathed in his sleep.

"You're safe."

She replayed those words in her head; the ones he'd said to her last night as she laid in the one-person bed crying.

"Daryl?" she whispered, pushing a stray bit of blonde hair from her face.

He made a noise that sounded like "Mm-hmm," and tightened his grip on her as if unwilling to let her go even if for a few seconds.

"Thank you," she cried, trying hard not to think about the night before and what Rick had done... Or tried to do to her. If Daryl hadn't of been there to save her helpless arse from the drunken/depressed state of Carl's father she shuddered to think what would have happened.

"For wha'?" he grumbled, yawning and rubbing his eyes with his hand and then turning her onto her other side so they were facing each other.

She smiled sadly at him, trying not to cry in front of him. "For last night with... Rick."

"Asshole was drunk," he replied groggily. "Ahh, headache," he groaned, placing a hand to his forehead, "Hangover."

Beth nodded, "There's more alcohol if you want to...." she suggested but Daryl shrugged. "Yu' 'kay? I ain't doing anything till yu're better," he sighed.

With a smile she nodded, "I'm okay but just a bit shaky. What did you do to him? After you told me to go, after I left?" Daryl shook his head, "Not'ing. Had a friendly chat with the Sheriff, didn' I?" Beth shrugged, "What was your dream about?"

As soon as she said it his eyes turned cold towards her.

"Why do yu' care?"

Beth smiled softly at him as if it would make him feel happier. Daryl mumbled something and after she asked him to repeat it he turned and spat it back at her, causing a quite pathetic fight:

Daryl: "Yu' and Rick shacking up."
Beth: "What? Why would I do that?"
Daryl: "Tell me, bitch."
Beth: "I didn't shack up with Rick, Daryl!"
Daryl: "After wha' I saw, I'm no' so sure!"
Beth: "You think I'd do that? You think I'd... I'd cheat on you?"
Daryl:  "I dunno! Yu'all think I'm trailer trash anyway."
Beth: "I don't! I don't, Daryl! My sister and father hate me now because of you! I wouldn't risk that just to throw it all away so quickly! I'm faithful, I'd never cheat."

"I'm sorry," Daryl mumbled and walked towards her but she moved away from his touch.

"Don't," she said, "I gave up everything for you and you treat me however you like and that doesn't suit me. I don't treat you like that, so don't treat me like that."

Daryl scoffed, "Fine, be like tha'. I saved yu'r fuckin' arse last night, yu'r welcome. I jus' told you I'm freakin' sorry!"

Beth nodded quickly, "I know... But how could you think I would do that?" she asked, shaking her head softly from side to side. Tears burned deep in her throat but she held them down. Who knew being involved with Daryl Dixon would be so hard?

"Makes me mad s'all."

"It's like you don' trust me. I gave up my family for you and they don't trust me, please don't do that to me too. Push me away... Do you remember that night? When we went outside and I told you the stars made me happy, do you remember?"

Daryl sighed, "Yea', yu'r point?"

"Well two weeks ago just before we were caught by Rick, when we were on watch, you told me they made you happy and I don't even know if you remembered at all but... They reminded me of that night and I want to go back to that. I've lost so much and so has everyone else; but I miss the old you. You know?"

His eyes betrayed him; showing how much he cared.

"I'm still tha' same. You've changed yu' know? That sweet little farm girl I remember is so far gone. Then we..." his voice faltered but Beth knew what he was going to say and she bit down on her tongue to keep from crying and showing weakness.

"I know yu' saw me the other day," Daryl sighed, "With the ring..."