Chapter 42: The Same Way

JUST A FILLER IN WHILE I EDIT THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS. 

THANKS, AMY. 

Rick's shaky hands grabbed the material to his right into fists, forcing into the backpack resting on the bed in front of him.

"You can't," Chloe argued.

It was the same argument they'd been having for more than hours and neither side saw any sign of winning.

"You have to think of others-"

"I am!" Rick yelled, now angry. He was thinking of Hershel, who's only surviving family member was missing, and Daryl and even Judith, who would only sleep once she heard Beth's sweet voice. "I'm doing what I can, Chloe, and I'm doing all I can. Beth is out there. People here need her."

Chloe supressed a weak sigh, letting her head drop into her hands as she sat on the bed across from Rick. 

"Think of your children," she finally said, lifting her head. "Carl needs you, Judith needs you... I need you. Please, let me come with you. I can help, Rick."

Rick shook his head, cocking back his gun back before slipping it in his pocket and turning to Chloe.

"No-" he said, sitting down on the bed across from her.

She let out a defeated scream. "I can help. I'm not letting you go alone! I told Carl I'd keep you safe-"

"I can't lose you too!" he yelled.

Chloe stared in shock, her green eyes widened and mouth opened slightly. "I didn't know you felt the same way."

The silence between them was filled by Carl talking in hushed tones then the sound of a girl sobbing. 

"I..." Chloe choked. "I think I might love you."

Rick nodded, standing and walking across to sit next to Chloe, grabbing her hand in his. Gently, ever so gently, he waited for her head to turn then touched the tip of his lips to hers. 

"I think so too," he quietly admitted. "I'm glad you're back but you're not leaving again. I won't let you, Chloe."

"Have you thought about me? I was so worried when I got back," she said, tears now welling in her beautiful green eyes. "I thought you were dead, then when I saw you... I was so glad, just so glad you were okay. Don't make it different the next time."

Rick nodded again, pulling Chloe's head into his chest., patting down her hair with one hand.

"I'll come back," he promised.

They sat in silence, embracing eachother before they heard yelling.

"Rick!" 

He jumped up, Chloe's fear evident in her green eyes. "Hang on," he said to her, walking out into the prison corridor.

"Tyreese said he heard a car. Beth might be back," Sasha said, Michonne standing quietly beside her. "We need you in the courtyard in case."

Rick gave Chloe one last look before turning to follow the two women.