Chapter 45: Dead Days

DARYL POV

I stare down at her, the Governor's hand holding a mass of her hair to expose her neck. Even from this great distance, I can see the terror in her eyes. 

"Oh my god," a voice whispers from behind me and I recognise the voice. It's Chloe.

"Shit," she swears, "We have to do something, Rick." 

I glance back quickly, not wanting to take my eyes off Beth for longer than I have to. Rick has his arm around Chloe's neck, snuggling her into him as she holds her hands to her face, peeking through them. She's wearing one of his shirts, and that's it. 

I want to congratulate Rick in the teasing way we do, but there's no time and right now isn't the right time, not when Beth Greene, my little songbird who grew up on the farm, is facing death.

Everyone's waiting for something to happen, for Rick to do something or for Beth to scream or for me to do something, anything. But no one does anything. I guess we just don't know what we're supposed to do. 

There's nothing when I think about it.

We either go down there guns blazing or wait for the Governor to hack off Beth's head.

I know which one I prefer, and I know which one the rest of the prison group would too. The one where none of us die.

"Daryl," a voice says next to me and I glance down to look at Carl, his father's sheriff hat perched awkwardly on his head. "What are we going to do?"

I want to reassure him it will be fine, but I know someone I love will be dead before the day is done, here's to hoping it isn't Elizabeth.

"Dunno," I reply but I know he can see the panic in my eyes, the hopelessness as I wait for the Governor, that bastard, to determine Beth's fate. 

Hershel, her father, watches in panic as his only living daughter flirts between death and life. One wrong word and everyone knows she's gone; we'll lose her if she can't keep her mouth shut.

I trust her to stay alive.

I know what's she like, she's one of those people, the people who give their lives in order to save others; I just hope this time she lets someone else die instead of trying to save them.

Glenn is here too, holding Neveah in his shaking arms. It's be too long since he's held his daughter, I had began to wonder if he even cared anymore about anything, or anyone, after Maggie's death.

It sure took its toll on all of us.

Finally, I see the Governor remove the blade from her throat but instead he kneels down on his knees, so they're face to face now.

I hear whispers between the two before he kisses her.

Angry rushes through me, and something else like jealousy, and I feel everyone's eyes on me. I turn and snap at them to stop but I can still feel their eyes burning through the back of my head.

When I turn back around to watch again, the Governor's no longer kissing her but she's screaming now; screaming something awful. 

This time, when the Governor goes to kiss her again, she says something no one can make out and he backs away, examining her hand and touching each finger before turning to look among us. 

He's holding something, approaching the gate we hide behind, and when the sun hits it I can just make out the ring I got her; our promise.

I feel a hand grab mine and look down, expecting Beth to be here, holding my hand, but she isn't, instead it's Aislynn, my cousin.

"Show yourself," the Governor calls, holding the ring up higher. "Show yourself!"

I raise my hand, the one Aislynn's not holding, and the one my ring is one and wait. His face is a mix of shock and humour before finally he steps up to the gate to face me. 

"You?" he spits, and Aislynn's grip on my hand tightens. "You and her?" he asks, pointing down to Beth, who's staring at us, trying to squirm away from a woman who has a tight grip, much like a vice, on her arm. 

"You're not good enough for her!" 

I would flinch or deny it but I know it's true, I know I never will be. But I also know that I'm what she wants, she needs, and I can't tell her no, because she loves me, and I love her too.

"I know," I grumble, staring down at my feet. Aislynn gasps, then finally she speaks, and I'm surprised to hear her voice sounds so soft and woman-like, like her mother.

"Who the fuck are you to tell Daryl he's not good enough for Beth, huh? You're not that much of a prize either, you asshole. As far as I know, they're perfect for eachother. They're as balanced as Maggie and Glenn were, and me and Carl, and Rick and Chloe. You sir, are a frickin' disgrace."

Everyone watches the two, Aislynn's calm posture and confident stature. I guess we're all surprised to notice she's a woman, that's she grown up and no one noticed, no one but Carl. 

"Listen here, you little bitch-"

"Fuck you," she says with a frown and her grip on my hand loosens, and my hand drops to my side. 

Carl steps in front of her, and she smiles at him, though now isn't the time to congratualate bravery; or stupidity.

"Leave her alone," he growls.

From somewhere, a bullet hits the Governor in the side but it must graze Carl because he screams and falls to the ground, while a panicked Aislynn drops to the ground, cradling his head in her lap while she begins to cry.

Rick screams, and I see a gun in his hand, the gun that just fired a bullet and hit his son.

I don't move, I just wait. 

There's more screaming and then guns start firing and I can't move, I'm planted to the spot. People are moving and running and then someone's pulling me to cover and rubbing my cheek but I can't see them; I don't open my eyes.

Something wet soaks through my shirt and I just then realise I've been shot. 

"You're in shock," and voice says, and it sounds soft and sweet, and the smell of baby formula and soap fill my nose. "You're going to be okay."

Then I feel someone kissing me and I kiss them back because their lips are soft and they smell good and if someone's kissing me, it must be Beth, it must be.

"Oh, Daryl," it cries, stroking my face, and I let it because the hand is soft and small and it's comforting.

"I love you," I say, though I'm not sure if it's Beth, but it has to be her because no one else kisses me like her, no one else has kissed me like her or held me like her.

"I love you too," it says, kissing me again and I kiss back again before I feel numb and the world gets away from me.

And then I feel like I'm falling, always falling.

HAVE YOU GOT ANY PREDICTIONS FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER? IT WILL BE BETH'S POINT OF VIEW.

ALSO, I NEED ANOTHER CHARACTER, IT CAN BE MALE OR FEMALE (It will be part of the Governor's group and then joins the prison). PLEASE FILL THIS OUT AND SEND IT IN A MESSAGE OR COMMENT IT BELOW:

CHARACTER PROFILE:

Name-

Age- 

Gender- 

Relationship status (Cannot be with any existing characters)-

Weapon (Pick out of: knife, gun, machete, axe)- 

THANKS FOR READING, LEAVE A COMMENT OR VOTE. IT SPEEDS UP THE WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT CHAPTER,

LOVE,

AMY XX