Chapter 12: Advice On Boy Trouble

“How do you know I’m a virgin?” Beth asked quietly, sipping from the spoon in front of her face. She dropped it and stared at the watery soup in front of her, glancing at Daryl from the top of her eyes. He shrugged, “Yu’re Beth, its expected, righ’? Daddy’s girl; the perfect daughter and student?”

Beth shook her head, “Jimmy,” she lied. Daryl looked at her as if angrily and dropped his gaze to his food, “Jimmy,” he mirrored, still looking down at his empty bowl.  “Daryl, it’s no big deal. He was my only boyfriend, I didn’t really care about him but I care about you.”

The look on his face made her feel guilty for lying and she lifted her gaze to his blue eyes. “You said you wanted to talk in the car, on the way back here?” Daryl nodded, “So?” She sighed, pushing back her chair and grabbing her bowl, “Let’s talk, then. You’re cell, I’ll meet you there.” He scoffed, “Fin’. Daryl pushed his chair out and left his bowl. Beth called after him but he ignored it. She grabbed his bowl in her hands and handed it to a bustling Carol. “You know about boys, right?” she asked. Carol looked at the young girl and smiled. “Why, Beth?”

Beth fumbled with her words and sighed. “They’re difficult. One second, he’s rude and-“

“Who?” Carol pressed, leaning forward on the counter with both hands. Beth sighed, “Uh, Carl.” Carol nodded suspiciously, “Sure. Continue, sweetie.” Beth smiled quickly and began to speak again, “He’s rude to me sometimes but the next he’s willing to take a bullet for me and would do anything for me. I don’t know what to do. I think he’s mad because I told him me and Jimmy... Me and Jimmy were sleeping together, and it annoys me because I was lying and I can’t tell him the truth without sounding like an idiot, right? He just doesn’t understand because I know what boys- Men like him are like. He expects me to be all his but doesn’t really think about how I feel.”

Carol nodded trying to process it all. “Just tell him you were lying and you felt that if you didn’t lie you were scared of what he might think. You’re only going to have one choice to be with someone like that, Beth, don’t waste it.” She turned back to the dishes and left Beth confused.

“Okay, thanks, Carol!” she piped, making her way over to Daryl’s cell. She heard rustling and pushed herself against a wall, peaking carefully to see what he was doing. The contents of his backpack were sprawled across his bed, his hands working quickly to put it all back as quickly as possible. He picked up something and froze, setting it back on his bed. He swore and put his head in his hands. Daryl lifted his head up to see her standing in the doorway of the cell. He pushed everything behind his back, “Wha’ do yu’ want?” he grumbled.

“You wanted to talk?” she said, scared. “Not anymore, someon’ took my gun and all me things, who woul’ do tha’?” Beth’s eyes wandered across the contents lying on his bed; he had moved slightly so she could see briefly the things they had left sprawled messily across the blanket on his bed.

“What are those?” she asked, pointing to his right.

He sighed, “Yu’ serious?” There was a brief silence and she nodded, "Yes."

Daryl picked one of them up and threw it to her. She turned it over and read the small, thin, square casing. "Oh," she said, suddenly embarrassed yet again. She threw it back. "Why do you need them?" she asked, moving closer to sit on the bed across from him.

"Everyone got them, guess Rick didn't want another baby in the group. Either that or tha thought of someone else dying is too much for 'im. Yu' didn't get any?" Daryl didn't see phased by the question. "No," she said, trying to get her voice quiet. "Daddy probably didn't see any need in giving his baby daughter condoms. Didn't think yu'd have sex, righ'? Apart from Jimmy?"

"About that-," she started but he cut her off. "So did yu' do it when we were there? When Glenn and Maggie were shaggin'?"

"I didn't sleep with Jimmy, I just didn't want you to think I was a virgin, Daryl!" She clapped a hand over her mouth. He started to laugh, "Yu' didn't say it loud enough," he joked. "No one hear' yu'."

Beth sighed. "I told you that because I didn't want you to think I was a silly little girl. Everyone treats me like a kid but I'm not."

He nodded, "So you're a virgin?" he asked, grinning. He stood up from the bed and walked slowly over to her. She nodded and he kissed her slowly. He pulled back; she could feel his breath on her neck.

"I can change that."