Chapter 8: I Don't Want To Lose You

There was an eerie silence surrounding the prison as Rick stood before them.

He rubbed the hair on his chin and sighed loudly. “Daryl, Glenn and I are going to Woodbury,” he told everyone. Beth looked at Daryl, who was standing faithfully at Rick’s side, and raised an eyebrow to question him. “Maggie,” Glenn said, reaching towards his fiancée, but she moved away, stood and stormed off.

“You can’ leave,” Beth said, willing her accent to go away, looking at Daryl. Rick glared at them as if willing Daryl to get her to be quiet but instead stepped forward. “I’ll bring him back,” Rick told her quietly.

Beth and Daryl knew Rick knew about them and even if he didn’t agree with their relationship, he cared about them both. Beth looked around at the group gathered around and turned to face Rick, nodding her head.

Daryl ran a hand through his hair and held his crossbow over his shoulder with his free hand. “I ain’t taking the Asian if he can’t sort out his girlfriend.”

She scoffed, “She’s my sister,” she snapped somewhat softly.  Rick held a hand up to Daryl, “I’m going to bring them both back,” he told Beth. She nodded again. “You’re coming back; Judith needs you,” she said to Rick, looking up at him through her pale blonde hair; her blue eyes meeting his.

“I’ll come back for Judith,” he said reassuringly. “That’s all I needed,” she said innocently, turning to find her sister.

As Beth walked her way to her sister’s, she felt a hand grab her arm. “Beth,” Daryl said gruffly. She turned, angrily. “When was I going to find out you're all leaving? It’s a suicide mission.”

Daryl rubbed his eye and focused his eyes on her, “Rick already told ya he’ll come back.” Beth scoffed, “This ain’t about Rick. It’s about you.” Daryl sighed angrily, “Wha’?”

There was a brief silence until repeated himself. “I care about you and you’re going to leave?” she said, angrily. Daryl’s eyes widened in surprise.

“I don’t want to lose you... ever,” she told him. “And you’re being a jerk about it?” she said quietly. She slapped him hard across the cheek and walked past him, shouldering him out of the way.

She heard Daryl curse and rolled her eyes in disgust.

Beth sat down beside Hershel and breathed out heavily. He turned and looked at her, "What's going on with you and Daryl?" he asked. Beth sighed and put her head in her hands. "Nothing, daddy," she replied innocently, straightening up and faking a smile.

"Beth," Rick called. She turned to look over at the scruffy man as he walked over to her. "Darling, can you come read to me when you're done?" Hershel asked his daughter. She nodded in reply and stood to trail after Rick.

"He'll come back, okay? But... You shouldn't be mad, I need him with me. Daryl's loyal and tough," he said, trying to reassure her. Beth nodded, pursuing her lips together. "I just... I care about him, but he doesn't understand it." Rick blinked and stared at her, not saying anything. "I can talk to him, but Glenn's going too, have you thought about Maggie?"

Beth tried not to be mad at Rick, because it wasn't his fault but kicked the wall pathetically. She felt the tears well in her eyes and sat down on a small seat; Rick sat beside her. "You and Lori..." she began, but stopped, watching the look of sadness and regret flash across his face. "You told her you loved her, didn't you? You showed that you cared about her?"

There was silence as Rick thought and Beth knew he didn't know what to say. "I showed it, yes. But, understand, that Daryl isn't like that. He's a valuable member of the group and I never thought he'd find... someone... But that doesn't mean I'm accepting of your relationship because, even though I understand you're almost eighteen, Daryl isn't one for cuddling and all."

"And you are?" Beth questioned.

Daryl cleared his throat behind them, "Can we...?" he said to Beth, who stared at him. Rick pushed back his chair and, kissing Beth on the head, walked past Daryl, leaving them alone.

"We need to talk."