22: Glowing Trees

'Glowing Trees'

I SNUCK INTO Tamara's room as quietly as I could and picked her alarm clock from her bedside table. After setting the timer for thirty seconds,  I took my seat on a sofa positioned close to her closet and waited.

Ring!  Ring!  Ring!

I laughed my head off when Tamara sat upright with her eyes wide open. Her hair had formed a bird nest due to her reckless sleeping position. She narrowed her eyes into slits when she took notice of me.

She turned off the alarm clock and set it back to where it belonged. "You're so evil."

"I agree." I accepted, sinking back into the sofa with wicked satisfaction filling me up.

"Don't make me kick you out of my room." She walked up to her dresser and stared into the mirror, examining her face for the things she hated most, pimples.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of her bed." I teased and watched the way she frowned when she discovered a bump on her skin.

"Is that a pimple I see?"

She huffed and trudged to her bathroom.

Smiling, I stepped out of her room and went downstairs still bearing the pleasant memories from last night.

Yesterday, I had so much fun at the Gaming Centre with Philip that for the few hours we were there, I forgot I was an adult and inserted myself in the world of the teenagers. We played so many games and although Philip won almost all of them, I was happy that I got to do something he loved doing when he was a teenager.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?"

I didn't realize my sister had entered the kitchen.

When my head jolted up in shock, she smirked and opened the refrigerator. After scanning the contents of the metal box, she brought out a jar of jam and placed it on the marble counter.

"Are you really going to start your day with junk?" I demanded as she slipped some slices of bread into the toaster.

"What's it to you?"

I ignored her snarky comment and jumped onto the counter.

"With the wedding fast approaching, I have to make sure certain things are in order like the food and chairs, will you help me there?" She placed her palm on her forehead and rubbed it with gentle strokes of her fingers.

I jumped down the counter. "Of course I will."

Tamara sobs and rubs her nose. "This is too good to be true, I'm getting married in less than a week."

"Oh please, save me the emotional drama." I embraced her in my arms and patted her back to soothe her.

She continued sobbing. I sighed, tolerating her breakdown. Even though I wasn't really showing it, I'd miss my sister, I'd miss our numerous fights, arguments, our late night discussions and the other things we did as sisters.

"Come on, stop crying." I groan as a tear drop hit my bare shoulder. "I'm gonna be drenched in your tears, stop it...ow!" I yelped as she kicked my shin.

"Now, who's a cow?" I teased my sister and shoved her away.

Before she could retaliate, her phone started ringing and she hurried to pick it from beside the toaster.

"Hello." She spoke into the phone.

Her countenance changed from bright to dull. "What happened to her?"