19: Comfortable Clothes

' Comfortable Clothes '

AFTER LUNCH, I hurried back to Mr. Philip's office, he was scribbling on a paper and he didn't look in my direction as I stepped in. I sat in my chair and resumed reading the newspaper.

"Hey Baby, how are you doing?" He spoke into his phone. I sat upright in my chair and stared at him.

"I'm fine too, I'm at work." He replied and waited for a few minutes before speaking to the person who I figured out was Maya.

"You're at the airport already?  I'll come get you," He hung up, pushed himself off his chair  and after snatching his car keys, he strode out, without speaking to me.

Not wishing to think about my boss, I sighed and shut the newspaper. I bent over and placed my head on my desk.

"Hey." A hand was placed on my shoulder, I lifted my head to see Peter smiling down at me. His smile brought warmth to my heart making me wonder when he started having that impact on me.

As long as I'm able to rid my mind of Mr. Philip, it's a welcome effect.

"Hey." I smiled shyly at him.

I contemplated on telling him about my planned resignation. If I tell him, he might try to persuade me to stay, not that I'll agree anyway. Not telling him might make him jump to unpleasant conclusions about me and I don't want that at all.

I guess I'll have to choose from the two options.

"I'm resigning." The words came out of my mouth before I could hold them back.

He blinked twice at me.

"Why? what did he do this time around?" he demanded sharply.

"He did nothing, I just want to do this, for me." I stated and observed his facial expression changed from happy to sad.

"If that's what you want," he ran a finger through his hair and stared deeply into my eyes. My stomach rumbled and heart sank a little bit lower as he turned to leave.

"We're still up for coffee tomorrow." he said looking over his shoulder as he held the door open. I nodded and he went off.

After work, as I stepped into the cab I hailed, I felt like a huge burden had been shoved off my shoulders, although Mr Philip didn't show up after he left earlier, I placed the carefully folded resignation letter on his desk before leaving.

I peered into my phone and logged into my account on facebook which I rarely used, sorry I'm not a social media addict. I checked the profiles of the few friends I had who are mostly my university mates.

"Miss, you can alight now?" The cabman politely said. I looked up from my phone and out the window. The cab was parked in front of my house.

"I'm sorry," I apologized and he nodded. After I stepped out with my bag and moved a safe distance away from the cab, he drove off.

I stared at the cab as it drove off till it disappeared around a corner.

"Are you gonna come in or what? "

I turned to see Tamara at the door grinning widely with her hands folded on her chest.

I entered the house after taking off my heels, and she trailed behind me.

"How was work today?" I asked her and she sighed.

"It was a long day, I had to attend to all my clients who suddenly decided to show up at once." She took my bag from me and set it on a sofa. I chuckled softly and sank into the sofa.