41: Closer to him

Today, mom was discharged from the hospital after Doctor Michelle declared her fit to come home. Seeing it was a Saturday, work was far from our minds as we relaxed in the living room with mom.

Earlier, I had gone to the hospital with Michael in his car to pick mom up, while Tam stayed behind to prepare different dishes for mom to choose from.

Mom was seated on a sofa while I sat on the fluffy rug looking up to her. Michael was seated on another with Tamara perched on his thighs, cradling his face in her palms

"Mom, I'm so happy that you're back." I gushed, taking her hand in mine.

"I'm so happy too, it's been awhile." She sighed and toyed with my hair with the hand I wasn't holding.

I glanced at Tamara who was grinning from ear to ear at something Michael said. I smirked at them, and she stuck out a tongue at me.

I looked down at my exposed legs which were crossed in Indian fashion.

I hoped that everything will go back to the way they were before the tragic event happened, My mom would return to her rightful place in her Empire and I would be by her side every step of the way. But one thing continued bugging me, the threats coming in different forms, they were becoming more and more serious, and I doubted my family was safe anymore.

A thought about informing the police swam into my head, but two things countered the thought.

Firstly, I didn't want to put my mom and Tamara in panic mode, seeing both of them were prone to panic attacks. Secondly, the police hadn't helped in my mom's case. After we officially reported the incident at the police station, the case was abandoned. Therefore, I saw no need to file a complaint, or whatever it's called.

"Mom, your food is ready, you can come over and eat now."

Tamara called from the kitchen and her voice picks me out of my thoughts. I hadn't realized that while I was battling with my thoughts she had moved to the kitchen.

My mom carefully untangled our entwined fingers and walked to a dining table.

While she ate, Tamara engaged her in a little discussion and I was left with Michael who smiled softly as I met his gaze.

"How have you been?" He demanded, adjusting in the sofa. I uncrossed my legs as they felt numb as a result of the poor circulation of my blood. I stretched them out and rubbed them gently with my fingers.

"I've been thinking..." I replied and he raised a brow questioningly. I allowed my gaze linger on my mom's phone lying on the side table.

"What have you been thinking about? work?"

I nodded and reclined against the lower part of the sofa.

"Everything is OK now, no need to worry about anything."

I sincerely wished I could accept those words of his that effortlessly tried to soothe my disquieted nerves.

"Yeah, I guess."

My gaze fell on his hands where Tamara's phone laid. "Enough talking about me... How are the wedding plans going?" Michael fiddled with the cuff of his white shirt that had black stripes running across at different points.

"Plans for the wedding are ongoing, Tamara and I planned on visiting the dressmaker to take our measurements, alongside the bridesmaids and the groomsmen." Michael replied.

"That's good news then, I look forward to meeting with them."

"Sure you will, today, hopefully."