19: Dada Mama

'Dada, Mama!'

"This place is amazing!" Mom gushed as she looked around my
newly purchased house in awe. Tamara stood behind us also captured by the beauty of the house.

I had bought the house a few weeks ago after Tommy had taken me on a tour around it. It was a simple duplex overlooking a fairly large garden. Behind it were a few trees which I planned replacing with new ones because of how large they were. I hate large trees because they could harbor snakes and besides, they were scary. They looked exactly like the ones found in horror movies where a mysterious force would emerge from to grab the person standing there. Thinking about that was enough to freak me out but I maintained my composure.

We entered through the main door, a plain glass door which I also vowed to replace because it made the house susceptible to burglars. The ground floor contained a large space I planned on filling with some flowers to make it more welcoming. And then there were a few doors, one led to an empty room which looked sufficient to hold a laundry and the other, well, I planned on leaving it empty till I discovered what I could use it for.

In the middle of the doors on my right was a staircase with silver rails that formed a beautiful spiral to the first floor which was actually the last.

Tamara and I followed the steps up while mom remained below looking through the rooms.

"I really envy you." Tamara spoke abruptly.

"I know you do." I looked through a door I opened.

"Get over yourself."

We entered the master bedroom. There were two large windows, the first one overlooked the garden while the other one faced the creepy trees.

"Why do I find myself hating these trees?" Tamara asked while eying the plants suspiciously.

"I plan on taking them down, very very soon." I gave one final glare at the trees before moving to the walk-in closet at the left corner of the room.

"So, tell me your plans." I called out to Tamara.

"What plans?" Tamara asked in a disinterested voice.

I touched the bare wall of the closet and concluded that it needed major painting.

"The wedding plans."

"Oh, that? Sorry I didn't tell you, Mike and I restarted plans for the event a few days back."

I frowned. Why didn't she tell me?

"That's great news." I replied, not knowing what else to say.

"I made an appointment with my hairdresser yesterday. So, I can say everything's going smoothly." Tamara's voice sounded close to me. When I looked back, I found her standing at the entrance of the closet, watching me coolly.

"When is the wedding scheduled for?"

"25th of next month."

I moved away from the wall and turned to face my sister with a smile. She smiled back although she wasn't sure of why I was smiling.

Have you ever had a nostalgic feeling? That feeling that makes you wish things were how they were a few years back. Well, that's the same feeling that descended on me.

"Hey Sis."

I looked up at my sister who was dressed in a simple black baggy shorts and a grey T-shirt that had the number ' 5 ' inscribed on it. She sat beside me on the grass and took my palm in hers.

"Why are you seated here?" She demanded.

"I just needed some moment's peace."

"Do you mind me seating here?"