Chapter 6-Will

*Geek Boy*

My heart soared the moment my eyes locked on Ellie.

Like always, she glowed. Her blonde hair created a halo around her head. The curled strands poured over her shoulders, framing her flawless tanned skin. Her blue eyes, bordered by long dark lashes, were locked with mine, sparkling beneath the fluorescent lighting. Her glossed pink lips were parted just slightly in shock.

Ellie wore a red dress that made her skin look more beautiful than usual--if that was possible. The dress was red lace and hugged her bust before cinching at her waist and flowing down to her mid-thigh. Her heels emphasized her lean legs, coated in flawless tanned skin.

She was beautiful.

My eyes fell on those surrounding her.

And taken.

Leaning close to her was who I presumed was her date. Justin Markson hovered inches away from her. His blonde hair was perfectly combed over his tanned skin. His lips were poised as he smiled at her, revealing dimples. He wore designer clothing--blue jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers--and a varsity jacket. The way he watched Ellie, his gaze full of intent, confirmed my assumption. This was a date.

I ignored the sensation of pain in my chest as my eyes scanned over the others in their company. Deputy head Cheerleader Gemma Henderson and varsity Line-backer Tyler Benton stood in front of the couple, glancing down at them, where they were sitting on a leather sofa.

A double date.

"Will? What's wrong?"

I blinked out of my daze. I turned to face Catherine. "Nothing." Just a broken heart. "Let's go buy tickets."

"I'll get the tickets." Catherine nudged me towards the food stand. "You buy the popcorn. Just get one tub."

I nodded and headed towards the bored teenager standing behind the food stand.

Catherine had persuaded me to ditch studying for a night in favour of a friendly trip to the cinema.

I was starting to regret agreeing.

As I ordered, I risked a glance out of the corner of my eye. Ellie was staring down at the bangles on her wrist, her fingers frequently fiddling with the golden bracelets. Her lashes brushed her cheeks as she sucked her bottom lip in.

I frowned. She looked upset.

My eyes jumped to Justin, who was still smiling and talking like nothing was wrong.

If he hurt her—

"Will." Catherine entered my line of sight. She flashed two tickets. "Got the tickets."

My eyes flickered to Ellie then back to Catherine. "What are we watching?"

Catherine bit her lip then glanced at her sneaker-clad feet. "A Rom-com."

I frowned. Catherine despised Rom-coms. "What's it called?"

Catherine's gaze shifted to the ceiling. "Love at its best."

I cocked my head. Catherine was acting odd. For one, she was wearing a dress--something I hadn't seen her do since she was nine. For two, she'd been avoiding my gaze for the last week. Three, she was willing to watch a Rom-com, something that she usually found repulsive. Four, she'd asked me to only order one tub of popcorn, which implied we were sharing. Catherine despised sharing.

"Cath, what's wrong?" I asked.

Catherine blinked rapidly before shaking her head. "I have no idea what you're talking about." She shifted her gaze. "Besides, you're the one who has been acting weird lately."