Chapter 46-Will

*Geek Boy*

I parked the car in my driveway fifteen minutes after I'd dropped Ellie off. Immediately, I slipped out my phone, re-reading the text.

Mom: Come home now.

I frowned, then tucked the phone away.

She would be irritated about me being sent home early. That much was obvious. And if she'd been told why...dread settled over me. I remembered the way she'd looked at Ellie. I knew exactly how she would feel about that poster.

I could already feel her stare of thin-lipped disapproval, burning a hole through me.

Abruptly, I clenched my jaw. So what if she disapproved?

There was nothing I could do to make her proud. Nothing I could do to win her love. She'd hated me for the last seven years, and there was nothing I could do to change that.

I was done trying to.

If she had a problem with the poster, it was her problem, not mine.

I stepped out of the car,  grinning as I remembered Ellie's bright grin. It had been infectious, and dazzling, and perfect.

Then I remembered her mouth against mine. It had been so fast, but I could still feel sparks of electricity on my lips.

I can't believe I'm dating Ellie Kent.

My grin widened.

I was Ellie Kent's boyfriend. Not a secret. But her official boyfriend.

My grin was still pasted on my face as I entered the house, crossing the front room towards the stairs.

Then I froze.

My eyes locked on the living room.

It was a mess, furniture upturned. Drawers had been yanked open. Shelves had been emptied. Books, paper and cutlery were scattered on the tiles.

Sat in the centre of it all was a woman.

She was on the floor, white shirt and pencil skirt dishevelled. Her hair was free from her bun, messy brown curls shielding her face. Her shoulders hunched, her head in her hands.

Mom.

I stared.

I'd never— In seven years, I'd never seen her like that.

I didn't move, still frozen in shock. For an endless amount of time, I just stood there, staring.

Then, hesitantly, I shifted away from the stairs, pausing in the entry of the living room.

"Mom?"

She lifted her head. Her eyes were large and filled with tears. "I can't—I can't find it," she choked out. "I can't find it."

I turned to stone. Shock stole my ability to speak.

Finally, I managed, "What can't you find?"

She shook her head. Her features crumpled.

Fear slid beneath my skin.

This—this isn't right.

"Where's Jed?" I tried.

I glanced around, praying Jed would just appear out of nowhere and fix this. I had no idea what to do. I had no idea how I was supposed to react.

And then, the woman who had barely shown me any emotion for the last seven years, started crying.

My eyes widened. My limbs had turned to stone. Once again, all I could do was stare.