Chapter 49 (Part 2) - Ellie

*Beauty*

"Mrs Kent is going to be fine," the doctor said. "Fainting from low blood sugar is simple to treat."

Relief rippled through the hospital hall. Amelia sagged onto a chair. Tessa clapped.

Julia pressed her hand to her mouth. "Thank goodness."

She was okay. Mom was okay.

Dad dragged his hands through his hair, exhaling. "And the baby?"

The doctor nodded. "The baby's fine." She made a note on her clipboard. "I'm suggesting bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy. Her due date is soon—so try to avoid stress for the next few weeks. You also need to regulate her diet..."

She kept speaking, but I couldn't hear the words.

I could barely breathe. This was my fault. Mom had fainted because of me. If I'd just—

"Can we see her?" Tessa asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

The doctor nodded. "Of course. Go on in."

I trailed after the others as they entered the hospital room.

I froze in the doorway.

Mom was lying in bed, tubes attached to her skin. Two heart monitors pulsed next to her.

The others gathered around her.

Tessa started crying again. "Mommy," she burbled.

Mom's face softened. She squeezed her hand. "Don't cry. You'll ruin your make-up."

Dad chuckled, but the sound was rough and his eyes were red. He brushed back strands of her hair from her face. "Don't scare me like that again, please?"

Mom smiled up at him.

Julie squeezed her and Tessa's hand. "You and the baby are going to be just fine, mom."

Mom scowled. "Of course we are—I just want to be out of this hideous room."

They laughed.

Mom's eyes flickered to Amelia, standing at the end of the bed. "Come here, sweetie."

Amelia shuffled to stand next to dad. She hadn't spoken since we'd called the ambulance. He wrapped his arm around her.

Mom squeezed Amelia's hand. "I'm fine."

Amelia nodded.

Mom smiled at her. Then her eyes flickered to me.

Her smile vanished, her face constricting into a glare.

And my heart cracked.

"Do you want me to call Selena?" Julia asked.

Mom looked away, her face relaxing as she nodded. "Yes..."

After that, I couldn't hear their words. I could see everyone, I could see their mouths moving, but I couldn't hear anything.

This was my fault.

Dad moved towards me. He looked so tired—deep lines embedded in the skin of his face. Lines that hadn't been there before. He squeezed my hand. "Maybe you should go home?" he asked softly.

I tried not to flinch.

"Just—" He sighed. "We'll talk later."

My gaze flickered to the bed, mom lying there, surrounded by her family.

I stepped back, the lump in my throat growing so large that I couldn't breathe. "Okay," I croaked.

Dad turned away.

I left the room.

*

I couldn't sleep.

I sat in my room for hours, staring at my phone, waiting for news, or waiting for someone to come home.

It was past midnight when I heard the door shut downstairs.

I scrambled to my feet, then hesitated.

What if the others were with mom? What if she didn't want to see me?

Before I could make a decision, I heard a knock on my door.

I stiffened. Was that—

Julie's voice came through the door, "Elle? Are you awake?"

I opened it. "Julie?" I glanced behind her. "Is—is everyone home?"

She stepped into the room, scanning it. "No, they're still at the hospital."

I sagged. "Oh."

Julianna sat on my bed. Her glossed lips pulled up into a smile. "Let's talk." She patted the bed. "Like old times."

I bit my lip, then sat next to her. "I'm so sorry," I blurted out. Tears spilled down my cheeks. "I'm sorry about getting kicked off the squad—about mom finding out—it's all my fault, I didn't mean—"

"It's okay, Ellie."

I stared up at Julie.

She smiled. "Mom's okay. It's okay."

"I messed up," I croaked.

She stroked my hair back. "We all make mistakes."

"I just wish..."

That I'd done everything differently.

"Hmm," Julie hummed. "So—this boy, why don't you tell me about him?"

I blinked, looking up at her. "Will?"

She nodded, smiling. "Yes, why don't you tell me about Will?"

*

Thank you for reading :) Next update will be up tomorrow!