Chapter 27-Ellie

*Beauty*

Will.

His face, the tormented expression that had stole into his features, had haunted me all night. I'd warred with myself over texting him all through last night. I'd finally decided not to, realising that he wouldn't want me nosing into his life.

But still...

William Johnson had an older brother.

I'd crushed on the same guy for seven years and I didn't even know that.

Somehow, every detail I'd noted about him for the past seven years seemed minuscule now that I found out more about him. In reality, I knew nearly nothing about his family—about him.

I sighed.

My gaze returned to the mirror, examining my appearance. I wore a red cropped sweater over a black vest and a red skater skirt. It had taken me hours to pick out this outfit. My make up was thicker than usual, glossing over every single imperfection. I'd hefted my hair up into an intricate bun, allowing a few ringlets to cascade down my neck.

I needed to look perfect.

I applied another layer of dark pink gloss to my lips.

Oh, goodness, I can't wait to see him.

Were we together now?

Would he smile at me at school, allowing me to glimpse that facet of his personality he always hid?

Oh, Will.

Finally, I hefted up my bag—decorated with the words 'Tiger Cheerleaders,'—and left the room.

Downstairs, Tessa, Amelia and my Dad were eating breakfast. Amelia periodically glanced at a large book in her hand between bites of fruit, earning repeated glares from Mom.

Mom flipped through a fashion magazine. Even in the morning, she looked perfect, hair tied up neatly, face made up flawlessly, and already dressed in a silky blue blouse and slimming black jeans.

Hurriedly, I pulled out my breakfast from the fridge—fruit salad. My eyes flickered to the clock as I stuffed the food down my throat as quickly as I could.

Soon I would see Will.

Oh, goodness.

"Ellie," my mother chided, "eat like a lady."

I nodded and slowed down, but my eyes didn't leave the clock.

Amelia snorted.

"Anyway," my mother declared, shutting her magazine with dainty fingers. "Your father and I will not be at home this Saturday. We both need to attend a doctor's appointment." She cleared her throat. "You all must make sure you take your Perfectil pills, attend cheer practice and sleep at least eight hours. You may invite your friends over," input mischievous smirk, "but try to be responsible."

Amelia rolled her eyes from across the table. "You're practically inviting them to throw a party."

I peeled my eyes away from the clock. "Party?"

Tessa's eyebrows were furrowed. "Can't," she mumbled around her food. "My friend's having a party that day."

"I think I'll just study," I mused, staring at my last cucumber.

With Will.

Giggle.

Silence.

I looked up at the table.