Chapter 18-Will

*Geek Boy* 

Ellie hated me. 

She had to. 

What kind of guy kissed a girl and didn't talk to her for days afterwards? Me apparently. 

The last week, I'd only caught small glimpses of Ellie. My mother had pumped the school full of information about my extracurricular learning, and so it became their priority to excuse me so I could attend sessions outside of school. At first, I'd resisted, but when I realised Catherine wasn't showing up to her classes because of my presence, I finally gave in. 

My mother was doing this on purpose. Trying to keep me away from Ellie.

Not like I was fighting much. I had no idea what to say to Ellie. She didn't feel the same way as I did and every moment I built up the courage to talk to her, I'd see her flip her hair, or laugh with her friends and realise all over again that I was crazy to like someone so amazing.

And yet, I couldn't help it.

It was 6:00 pm when I finally entered the house. I noticed my mother's car parked in the garage as I made my way into the main building. 

A sense of foreboding poured over me. 

I strode through the house, mind working over what could have possibly gone wrong. 

I froze as I entered the kitchen. 

My mother sat at one side of the island. Opposite her was Catherine. 

Oh. 

Catherine's gaze jumped to me before quickly flickering away. She looked incredibly uncomfortable. And angry. Really angry. 

Despite knowing my mother had probably already noticed my presence, I cleared my throat anyway. 

"Come in Will," she replied without turning. 

I walked in hesitantly. 

My mother stood, her thin frame straightening as she landed on the ground. 

"You have a guest." My mother's gaze finally met mine and I saw the warning in her eyes. 

She wanted me to fix this. 

"I'll give you two some privacy." She turned on her heel and left the room. 

The silence was awkward and stifling. Unable to sit down, I leaned forward against the island. 

The Wilsons were behind this. And my mother, of course. Catherine would never voluntarily walk into the house of someone she'd recently argued with. And my mother, my mother would never willingly get involved in my private life. Not unless the Wilsons asked. 

I smothered a sigh. 

"Your mother invited me over," she finally blurted out, confirming my suspicions. "I wouldn't have come." Her gaze flickered to me. "But your mother insisted." 

I nodded. "I see." 

Silence. 

I bit my lip as I mulled over what to say. 

Finally, I spoke. "I'm sorry for not driving you home on Friday. I should have insisted you didn't walk." 

Catherine's gaze jumped away from the cabinet she'd been staring at for the last few minutes. She narrowed her eyes at me. "That's what you're sorry about." 

My eyebrows furrowed. "Yeah." 

Why did I get the feeling that I'd said something totally wrong?