Fate

Sorry for the long wait and suspension from the last chapter. I hope you all enjoy and get ready for happy tears in the upcoming chapters.

Some people say when you least expect it you will see your life flash through your eyes. Every moment that made you happy, cry and ones that you wish you could forget will replay in front of you in times of crisis. I never thought I would experience this before I even got to live. When I was suspended upside down for those 90 seconds I thought about everything I wish I could do. As those headlights came closer and closer all I could think about the life I wish I had lived and the one I will never have. I looked over to see Carter straining to look at me. We reach for each other knowing if this is when we're going to die then it will be with each other. Our litter family together all the way to the end. The last thing I see is the lights of the car about to hit us head-on. I tried to reach for Carter but the seatbelts are preventing us from holding each other. I braced myself for the pain that was to come and wished it would be all over soon.

__________________________________
"AHHHHHHH!" I sit straight up screaming my head off. I feel someone trying to push me down and I trash against them.

"I need help in here!" I have this burning feeling in my throat that won't go away. I'm trying to make sense of what is going on but everything is a blur to me. "Miss, we need you to calm down."

"Where am I?" I'm able to look at the woman who has been talking to me.

"You're in a hospital. You were in a car accident." I frantically look around seeing if Carter is anywhere to be seen, but I'm coming up empty-handed.

"Where is the man who was with me? He... he...is he okay? Oh, my god!" I reach for her hand as someone else comes over to restrain me. "What about my baby? I can't lose my baby again!" I'm sobbing uncontrollably now and the nurses try to calm me down but I'm not letting them.

"Do you know your name?"

"Eloise Ophelia Bass. I was heading to my father's event with my boyfriend Carter Baizen and..."

"Ma'am, do you know what happened to you?"

"The car came out of nowhere. One moment we were all safe and the next I uh...uh..." The nurse sees how hard it is for me to talk about it and holds my hand.

"It's okay. All you need to you is you're in good hands."

"And my baby?"

"We had to run some test and they haven't come back yet." My heart sank as I let it sink in that I could possibly lose another baby.

"And Carter?" I turn to face her, tears still streaming down my face.

"The doctor is still checking on Mr. Baizen. He was hit first by the impact of the other car." I rest my head back not knowing what will happen next. I feel my hand being lifted. I look up to see the nurse smiling at me. "Ms. Bass, everything will be okay."

"How can you say that?"

"Most people would not have made it out of the crash you two were in. The fact that you're receiving medical care shows that you will make it."

"But my baby's fate is uncertain."

"All our fates are uncertain. Your child, if he or she is anything like you, will be a fighter."

"Thank you."

"Don't lose hope. It's one of the only things we all have in this world." She squeezes my hand once more.

"When can I see Carter?"

"If you feel up to it I can help you to his room?" I nod my head and she detaches the heart rate monitor from my body and helps me to my feet. We make our way down the hall. I almost fall to my knees at that moment seeing Carter laying in his hospital bed while the doctor checks on him.