Phillips for Sale

Thank you to all who have reached out to me to voice their love for these books. I can't wait to share the rewrites when this books finishes and I can't wait for you to read my other stories. Please enjoy this new chapter.

"Why do I need to go to Lily's art show? I know it's for charity but why must I be present for this auction?"

"She is auctioning off this painting that I stored something valuable in. I need you to get back to me. I will reimburse you whatever you need to pay to get it back."

"What did you hide in it?" Bart cleared his throat.

"Ella, get that painting." He hangs up and I direct Arthur to head to my place to change quickly for the charity art show. Chuck hasn't answered my phone calls or texts. He is too focused on catching Bart in a lie and needs to focus all his time on this.

Carter came home just as I was about to head out.

"Hey, where are you heading off to?" He tries for a kiss but I bend down to put on my heels.

"I have to go to Lily's art gala thing she is hosting for charity. Apparently, she's auctioning off this painting that Bart doesn't want to be sold."

"And what are you supposed to do about it?"

"He wants me to do whatever I need to get it back."

"And you trust him?" I told Carter what he needs to know about Bart. I know Chuck may not trust him but I do. Carter is not the same man who coned Nate out of money in a dirty poker game. He knows I've been stress trying to keep my family together. He doesn't want me to get hurt because of them and I understand that but for family, you'll do anything. If this painting is somehow tied to what Chuck and I think Bart is involved in then it's better I get it than Bart or someone else.

"Not in the slightest. But you have to keep your enemies closer so you can always be four steps ahead of them."

"Then let me change and I'll hold your hand as you buy this painting."

"I thought you had a business dinner?"

"I made it a lunch because I wanted to spend time with you."

"Even if it means dealing with my family drama?" Carter pulls me to him. He rests his hands on my waist as I drape my arms around his neck.

"If you're involved I will always be there."

"Okay, get dress quickly the auction is going to start soon." I kiss his lips as he runs into the closest.

__________________________________
We make it into the auction late due to the horrific traffic and basically out of breath since we had to run to the event for four blocks. Carter even carried me the last two since it was getting hard to run in my heels and dress. We made it sweaty and tired but I hear the auctioneer's voice loud and clear. We make our way towards the front. I stop one of the girls with the auction paddles and see who I'm up against. It took me a little to understand why Ivy was here and why Lily was bidding against her. If Bart has Lily here why does he need me to ensure this painting?

__________________________________
"560!"

"580!" Chuck runs past Carter and I not seeing us as he catches his breath.

"750,000!" He adds his bid and things only get worse from there.

"880,000. I have 880,000. Do I hear 900,000?" The auctioneers is cut off as Chuck offers 900,000.

"What do you think you are doing?" Lily is pissed and continues to argue with both Chuck and Ivy.

"920,000!" Ivy yells through the crowd not liking Lily's presence.