Bella Swan

Jacob seemed shocked at my mention of Bella Swan. When i'd asked, I knew already that he knew who she was because we'd played together as children. I knew that Bella had moved away, but I wanted more than that, and I had a feeling Jacob could give me some answers. 

"Bella? Why do you want to know about Bella?" Jake's voice was laced with confusion as we walked unnecessarily slowly back towards the house that had now become my home. 

"I heard she moved back into town, I was just curious." I glanced over at him before my eyes fell back down to my feet. 

Jacob brushed off my obvious lie, and decided to complete my request anyway. "Uhh... Yeah, she did, she got back a couple days ago. My old man dragged me over there to say hi, since he and Chief Swan are such good friends." He shrugged. 

I nodded slowly, taking in every piece of new information he gave me. "Okay... what's she like?" I questioned. "Now, I mean. I'm guessing she's a little different to the Bella who helped me get you down from a tree when we were five." 

That memory triggered a smile across Jake's face, and he chuckled. "I don't exactly know much. She seems pretty cool, we got along well. As far as I know she moved back here because her Mom went travelling." 

"But she's nice?" 

He caught onto my intense curiosity then, and let out a chuckle. "What's with all the questions, Banks?" 

I sighed. Of course Jacob would notice my overly curious attitude towards Bella Swan. "Something's going on with Edward. I think he likes her." I smiled a little at the thought, but Jake dragged my attention to him again with his raised voice. 

"What? The leech? He CAN'T, Emma, she's human!" 

I was pretty sure it was my deadly raised eyebrow that shut him up. "What exactly is wrong with vampires, again?" I hummed, and gestured to myself. 

Jake huffed. "Sorry - habit. But... Bella's human." 

"Edward won't hurt her; if I thought he was going to I'd have told him to stay away from her. He has more control than I do, way more." I smiled a little and picked up his other hand to turn him to face me. "Besides; Bella has a mind of her own, you know. If something DOES happen between the two of them, then he'll give her the choice on whether she wants to be with him." 

Sighing, he nodded, clearly not happy about it, but there wasn't much he could do. "Fine, fine." We'd started walking again, finally coming up to the Cullen house. "Woah..." Jake muttered, his mouth falling open. "You live HERE?" 

"I certainly do. Welcome to the Cullen House, Jake." I grinned. I understood his shock; the place was a little daunting at first. It was completely stunning, and even now I tended to refer to it as 'the palace'.

"I don't know if I should come in..." He mumbled, starting to look a little uneasy about being in a house full of vampires. 

"Oh c'mon, they're just like me, Black. Besides, maybe I'll show you my room..." I gave him a smirk and it worked like a charm. Jake drifted towards me a little more, shaking his head at his inability to do more than hold my hand. 

"That would've worked if I could actually kiss you, Banks, nice try. But what you're doing right now has to be some form of torture." A groan escaped his lips and I grinned, fighting a laugh and shaking my head. 

"Whatever, J. C'mon, I'm getting cold!" I shot him a wink and then dragged him into the house, his laughter at my awful joke getting caught in the breeze behind us. 

------

Of course, each of the Cullens were kind to Jacob. I'd expected nothing less from Esme - mothering was in her nature - but what I was most scared for was Rosalie, who was still at school with the rest of them. Emmett would make some kind of unnecessary joke, Jasper would understandably stay away, Alice would surely be nice, and even if Edward had hated Jacob with every fibre of himself, he was impeccably polite and I was sure would never do anything that could make me mad. But Rose? The possibilities were endless.