Inconvenience

I took my time walking back from meeting Jacob that day, my eyes raking over each cluster of colourful flowers I passed, and stopping to watch each small animal I came across. It took a while, but I didn't mind. I was trapped in a blissful mind set after what had just happened with Jacob, ridiculously proud of myself. Before today, holding his hand felt like just a dream, so far out of reach and possibly never achievable for us, but we'd done it and the smile i'd seen on his face made it that much more rewarding.

Another reason I was walking slow was because of the time; Edward and everyone else would still be at school and work, blending in as always, so I had no reason to rush. Being outside was way more entertaining than being inside, after all, since I would have no one to speak to wherever I went. 

I was surprised, though, when I finally arrived back at the Cullen house and could hear movement inside the house before I'd even gotten to the steps. The door was wide open, and this would've worried me had I not caught Edward's familiar scent on the doorstep and leading up the stairs. The scent was accompanied by the sound of crashing upstairs, and he was a pretty quiet person in everything he did, so that set off alarm bells in my head. 

"Edward..?" I called out, cautious, as I sped my way up the stairs and stopped in the doorway of his bedroom. I frowned instantly as he turned, and my eyes scanned his room. There was a small duffle bag on his couch, which by the second was being filled with clothes and books. He was clearly frustrated, because drawers hung open, books had fallen off shelves, and the pure wild look on his face said it all. "What? Did you fail your biology test or something?" I laughed nervously, but didn't get the reaction I'd hoped for. "Okay. So you're not in the mood for jokes. What's going on? Shouldn't you be at school?" 

Edward resumed his frustrated throwing things into his bag and then threw it over his shoulder and walked towards the door I was blocking. "I have to leave. Move." 

Something in me snapped, and a side that hadn't really appeared since I became Vampire Emma came out. I'll admit, I missed her. 

My hand slammed into his chest with enough force to stop him, and my eyes narrowed at him. "'Move' doesn't work on me, Cullen. I think it's rude. Back the fuck up." I gave his chest a little push.

Edward hesitated, clearly debating whether he should just barge me out of the way which I was sure he was capable of, but I knew he wouldn't, and so did he, so I watched him step back with a sigh. He knew I wouldn't accept him leaving without an explanation. "I have to go. I can't stay here. It's not safe." I'd never seen him such a state; he looked like a vampire in a frenzy, and to be honest I didn't even think that that side of Edward even existed. He reminded me of my newborn self; spooked. 

I frowned, trying to understand him. My voice softened, though, and my snappy side seemed to melt away with the look in his eyes. "Not safe for who? You?" 

"For everyone! This is bad, Emma!" Edward's breathed, starting to pace impatiently. 

"Slow down, okay. Talk to me. Did you hurt someone?" I questioned him, tilting my head. 

He shook his head fiercely. "No, but I could've, which is why I have to leave." Edward mumbled, and I walked over planting both hands on his shoulders. 

"Talk. Start at the beginning." I told him, my eyes locking with his and his shoulder's relaxed a little, before he nodded, and I dropped my hands. 

And so he started talking. "I've never felt so... out of control, Emma. It could've ended so differently. I... She was sat right next to me, and I almost.." 

I grabbed his arm to stop him. "Don't do that to yourself. Stop thinking 'what if'. I still don't get it, Edward, you have great self control. What was so different about this girl? You've never met her before?" 

He shook his head again, eyes on the floor. "No. She's new, and she was different. Her blood was different. Everything was so much more intense. I... I couldn't read her mind, not at all."

I raised an eyebrow. "You couldn't?" I knew by the confusion on his own face that this hadn't happened before. "And she's new, hmm? What's her name?" 

When he spoke, it wasn't with disgust, and he didn't shake with horror at just the memory of being near her. His voice was soft, and warm. "Isabella Swan." 

My mouth fell open and my eyes widened. "Bella?! Since when is Bella back in town?!"

Edward looked just as shocked as I was. "You know her?" 

I nodded quickly. "She's Chief Swan's daughter. Jake and I used to play with her when we were little, then she left town for years. She's back?" 

"Looks like it. She was sat next to me in biology and I almost killed her. Didn't we just go over this?" He raised an eyebrow, impatient, and I nudged him. 

"Shush. I'm a slow learner. But... Come on, Edward, it was that bad?" I questioned, not understanding. Blood was blood, plain and simple. All humans smelt relatively the same to me. 

I watched as he let out a soft groan. "No, it wasn't bad. It was almost unbearable, but not bad..." He sighed quietly. "What's weird is that even though I was so desperate to get out of there, when I got out the building a part of me was screaming to back to her, even though I couldn't smell her blood anymore." He was confused, I could see that, but I wasn't. Not anymore. I was seeing a different side of him, someone conflicted and confused. But I needed to test my theory. 

"You do know that if you leave town she'll be just another unprotected human, vulnerable to any kind of fatal weapon or supernatural being - totally unprotected." I sang, sounding harsh and cheerful about this fact on purpose. "Even if you came back, she could be dead by then. All it takes is for her to step into the road, and then..." 

"Stop!" Edward yelled, his voice dripping with venom. I found myself pinned against his wall, his face close to mine and his eyes a threatening black. It was truly terrifying, and yet my face broke into a smirk. "Oh what the hell are you laughing at?" He snarled as I shoved him off me.

"You're not going anywhere, Lover Boy. That would be the easy way out, and if I can't take it then neither can you. So buckle up, Ed, and welcome to the club." I hummed, ridiculously proud of myself for figuring out what was going on. 

And yet, he was still totally confused. The venom and anger faded from his eyes and he looked shocked at how he'd just tried to attack me, horrified at himself. "What are you talking about? How did you make me do that?" He breathed. 

"Oh I didn't make you do anything." I smiled gently this time, no humour in my face. "That reaction you just had to the thought of living in a world with no Bella? That's exactly what goes through my mind with Jake." 

He frowned again, folding his arms. "What are you saying?" 

I smiled gently. "I'm saying that you just found your forever person in the most inconvenient circumstances."