Someday

By the time I got back to the Cullen house that night, I felt surprisingly more human, despite having just had the most 'vampire-like' day ever. But none of that mattered, because even if I had had to sit metres away from Jake the entire time, we still talked, and we were always good at that. 

We hadn't stayed on the heavy topics for long, somehow changing almost automatically to subjects more relaxed, like how many muffins Jared had managed to eat in the last week.  We laughed about how the vein on Paul's neck stuck out when he got angry, and after just twenty minutes Jake had me cry-laughing over the most stupid things. The burn in my throat never subsided, just like the constant urge to kill him didn't either, but I found that my chest was filled with a different kind of warmth, the kind that I completely understood. It was the exact same thing that I felt every time I was around Jacob; like home. 

Embry's howl a few miles away startled us out of our easy conversation just as the sun was starting to set; apparently Em had been the one to get Jacob here without Sam knowing, and his howl was a signal that we didn't have much time left. 

"You'll come back?" I questioned Jacob as we both pushed ourselves off of the ground and got up, each ready to leave in separate directions. 

The smile I was rewarded with was one that I had seen pretty much all afternoon, and it sent another surge of happiness through me. "Of course. You'll be around?" 

"Where else would I go?" It was a joke, but also entirely true; the Cullen's territory was my home now. 

Jake looked like he wanted to hug me as much as I had all afternoon, but I let out a sigh and he got the message that we couldn't. Still, nothing could put a damper on my mood; we hadn't talked like that in a long while, and I was beyond happy. 

He left soon after that, and I had made my way back to the Cullen's house in no rush at all. Edward would've told them where I was by now, and I couldn't help but be more than a little anxious about how they would react. If Carlisle was mad, he would have a right to be. I could've ruined everything for them if something had gone wrong. 

As my hand reached for the handle of the front door at the house, it flung open before I could even tske hold of it, and standing in front of me was Carlisle and Rosalie. 

Nerves almost choked me to silence, but I managed to flash a stupid little wave and speak just once. "Um, hi..." I muttered, instantly aware that Edward wasn't with them and I very much wanted him to be.

The reply that came from Carlisle wasn't what I expected. "How did things go with Jacob?" He questioned, and I couldn't help my frown. 

"Is this.. um... is this you playing 'good cop'?" I asked him, purposefully not answering his question or letting my guard down just yet. 

But Carlisle laughed. He actually laughed. "I'm not mad at you, Emma. Edward explained how well you handled it. Sure, it was risky, but I cant ask you to sacrifice your whole life. And nothing happened, right?" 

I did relax then, because Carlisle would never lie. Maybe Emmett, but not Carlisle. "No, no, youre right. Nothing happened. Thank you, Carlisle." 

Rose spoke up for the first time, then, but the minute she opened her mouth I knew she was going to be funny in the way she always was. "I think something clearly happened; considering you smell like you're straight out of a poodle parlour." She smirked, and I heard laughing from somewhere inside the house. I knew that laugh. 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." I rolled my eyes at her whilst she laughed at her own joke. "I'm going to shower. In the meantime, how about you grow up a little. Oh wait! You can't!" I squealed, bursting into laughter and launching myself up the stairs so that she couldn't kill me before I got away. Behind me, I heard Rose's strangled scream of anger, but it was Edward's laughter that caught my attention as he stepped out of his room and met me in the hall. 

"Nice. That was low, but pretty good." Edward chuckled, but I wasn't about to high five him. 

"Oh no, Eddie, don't go thinking I didn't hear you laughing at Rose's joke." I shot him a grin, and he held his hands up in protest as I headed into my room, leaving him standing there on the hall. 

Once I had changed clothes and the Cullen's could stand to be even metres away from me without their heads being hurt by the 'scent of dog', Edward and I took our usual spots sat on the roof as night fell. 

We sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, before he spoke and dragged me out of my train of thought. "You're happier now." Edward murmured, and I lifted my head from how I'd had it leaned against his shoulder so that  I could see his face. He didn't look like he was done talking, so I questioned what he meant in my head and let him go on. "Now that you've seen Jacob, youre happier. It's like... like you've had a weight lifted off of your shoulders and you can be happy." 

I frowned a little, sitting up straighter and tucking my hair behind my ear. "That's the imprint, I think..." 

"No, no its not." His voice was as gentle and quiet as mine; we could hear each other perfectly anyway. "It's just because you need him, and you can be the real Emma when he's around." There was a wistfulness in his eyes, and I let out a sigh. 

"Hey," I murmured, and waited for him to turn his head and look at me fully before I spoke. "You'll find that, you know. I know you will. Someday you'll find someone who you can't even imagine living without, someone who makes everything you've done worth it." 

The sad look on his face turned in a small smile, and even though I knew he didn't believe what  I was saying and never would until all of that actually happened, I'd made him smile and that was enough for now. I leaned my head against his shoulder again and closed my eyes, and we sat like that for the rest of the night. 

---- 

Don't tell me they're not cute!!!!! 

How do we feel about this chapter? Let me know in the comments :) 

Also, we hit 3.5k reads! That's incredible!

- Author