Lone Wolf

I had assumed, whilst walking home from my meeting with Jacob at the border that day, that my mind would for once only be filled with blissful happiness all night, because of everything we'd accomplished. Or at least, my only worry would be the time we finally met with Sam and would tried to reason with him. But no. 

Edward was beyond overwhelmed when I made my guess that Bella wasn't just some random human he had to avoid killing just like every other day of his eternal life. 

"Think about it," I started, holding my hands up to stop him rushing out things like 'don't be stupid' or 'but she's human'. "The craving for HER blood specifically was horrifically strong, right? Stronger than anything you'd tried to resist. Tell me, Edward, aside from not wanting us to get caught and people to find out, why didn't you kill her? You could've cornered her when she was alone, and then we wouldn't have been caught. Why leave her alive?" 

I could tell that he answered me without even thinking, because the words flew out of him mouth unintentionally. "I didn't want to hurt her. Nothing can happen to her." 

I bit back a huge grin, continuing my quizzing. "And she's at home now, unprotected... Anything could happen. One slip down the stairs..." 

Edward stood up and started towards the door so fast that I had to slam a hand into his chest to stop him. 

"Slow down, she'll be fine. But you see what I mean now? There's no way around this, Edward." I shook my head, biting my lip a little. 

He slowly took in what I was saying, mulling it over in his head and then meeting her eyes. "But she's human, and I... I can't, Emma. You have no idea how hard it was today, to try to resist. I almost..." 

I put my finger to my own lips to try and stop him talking. "Calm down, okay? She just caught you off guard, and you're thirsty. Practise, Edward, and it will get easier. I'm not saying go in and freaking hug her tomorrow, but you can go and sit next to her in class again. You don't want to leave, that's for sure." I spoke to him gently, and although he looked terrified at the idea of hurting Bella Swan, he nodded once and met my eyes again.

"You'll come hunting with me?" Edward tilted his head as he asked the question, and I nodded once. That was all it took, for us to jump straight out of the window and begin preparing him to face Bella Swan the next day. 

------

It seemed we both had a terrifying agenda the next day, because when I returned from hunting with Edward at five am the following morning, there was a voicemail on my phone telling me to meet him at our spot in the woods an hour earlier than usual, and I felt myself freeze. I knew then that we'd be facing Sam, and it suddenly hit me. However Sam reacted would be the final decision on whether I could see Jacob, or whether I would have to stay away unless I wanted to break the treaty, and I couldn't do that to the Cullens after everything they had done for me. 

I asked Carlisle to accompany me, not wanting to be the only one there in case I lost my shit. After all, i'd never dealt with the scent of more than one wolf before, and the idea terrified me. 

So, we headed to the border, Carlisle placing a fatherly hand on my arm every so often to keep me calm. What I hadn't expected, though, was for all of my worries to melt away as soon as my eyes landed on Jake. He smiled, and I returned it, and then I smiled at Embry, who winked, and I had to remind myself of the seriousness of the situation. 

They were all there, the whole pack, in human form, which surprised me. I didn't know how to react. Before all of this happened, I would've run to each of them, including Sam, and hugged them so tight it hurt. But now? All I saw when I looked at them was betrayal, and a rush of anger and disappointment in those who I once considered my brothers was gone. Embry and Jacob had stuck by me, although it had been difficult, and the others had chosen not to fight. I didn't consider them family anymore, and it satisfied me to see their guilty looking faces.