Fight The Burn

'Keep fighting the burn, Emma.' Well, that was easier said than done. The excruciating pain was constantly in the back of my throat, willing me to drink something, anything. It faded slightly sometimes, when I could distract myself, but would appear again with a fiery vengeance. Apparently, the longer I went without drinking something, the weaker I got. I felt a little dizzy sometimes, and knew that I had little to no strength left. 

It seemed that 'i'll sort it out' actually meant that Embry would disappear for days without even telling me where he was going. I had no place to go, and so continued roaming around the woods and trying not to get myself - or any passer-byers - killed in the process. it wasnt simple, of course, but it was also extremely dull. It also gave me a lot of time to myself, to think, which wasnt a good thing. Considering i had had my family ripped away from me, along with my whole life and everything i knew, and had my heart broken all in one day, being left to just think all the time was bound to be full of misery. And it was. 

My brain seemed to settle into a pattern of sadness; anger, tears and more anger on a constant loop as i continued to replay the recent events over and over in my head. 

My biggest challenge was to not let the heartbreak overwhelm me, to not let it drag me into a pit of self destruction and mentally drown me. Sound like i'm over reacting? i know. but im not. There is no worse pain than being separated from your imprint/imprinter; i was learning that. To be away from jacob was like having him reach into my chest and physically drag out my heart, and yet i was still alive, living a miserable and unfullfilling life with no purpose. Being someone who stands for female rights and supports the phrase 'we dont need men', this is one of the most infuriating and uncomfortable feelings i've ever known, but who am i to question fate? Well, Fate, i thought you were supposed to like me, and not drag away my one reason for living. 

Jacob hadn't shown up, and his face just refused to budge from my mind. i was left to question whether he ever really cared at all, wondering if how i felt for him was even a mutual feeling. It sure didnt feel like it. Maybe i was immortal, and had been turned into a human-destroying creature - the one thing he is supposed to destroy - but if i could put in the effort to try and figure this out, then why couldnt he at least show up and give me an explanation, or an apology. Then maybe i could try to move on, and the heart-crushing pain would subside at least a little. 

For these reasons, i was thankful when Embry did come back. It was still just as difficult, and i almost launched myself at him on pure instinct when he walked around the corner, but i resisted and stood against a tree soon enough. "Embry," i breathed, hearing the relief in my own voice as he came closer, but my relief didnt last long. I'd seen that he wasnt alone. 

My first instinct was to defend myself, and a low snarl ripped its way out of my chest as i bared my teeth. 

There were three of them, all around a similar age, and they were just like me - well, almost. Porcelain, flawless skin matched perfect figures and calm demeanours as they made their way towards me, leaving around five metres between us. The first was a man, possibly just over twenty, with a full head of bleached blonde locks, slick back against his head. By his side was a woman of the same age, slightly shorter than him and holding his hand. She had a heart-shaped face and sleek caramel hair, which was curled and fell naturally to her shoulders. The last one caught my attention the most. He was the youngest, probably the same age as me, and somehow more perfect looking than the others. he stood tall at around six foot, broad shoulders slightly slumped as if he wouldnt stand up straight. The most perfect bronze/brown coloured hair was on his head; long, unkept and yet still somehow perfect. My eyes were drawn to him the most, and we stared at each other for what could have been minutes.