Jacob

"I'll race you, Banks!" I heard Paul's voice from down by the water. We'd come out to the beach only an hour since I'd gotten there, and despite the usual crappy weather, everyone seemed in good spirits. I was soaking it all up, just happy to be home.

"Oh I wouldn't, Em, you'll never win." Jared shook his head, shrugging. I almost did a double take, and studied his face. He was being serious, doubting me like they all had when we were younger. My lip curled in disgust. Had I been gone so long that they'd all become sexist pigs? I sure hoped not.

"Because you're wolf, Jared? Because now you think you're all cool because I'm HUMAN, or because I'm a girl? Like last time? Is that it? Because I'm a GIRL I could never stand against all you mighty guys?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes. I could hear Sam's barely audible laughter beside me.

"Woah! No, Emma, I-I didn't mean.." Jared started, starting to back out of what he'd gotten himself into. He was trying to tell me that that wasn't what he meant, but I KNEW that judging look on his face. It was a look I'd disposed of when we were five. So no, I wasn't listening to his excuses. I was stripping off my jacket and standing up.

"Okay, Paul, let's go." I nodded with sheer determination, and lined up next to him, half leaned forward and ready to go.

"You're going down, little girl." Paul smirked, flexing his arm proudly.

"Stop yapping and get on with it!' Embry yelled, always the blunt one, and I had to hold back my laughter as Paul and I looked to Sam.

"Okay!" Sam nodded. "Ready.. Set.. GO!" He told us, and I shot off. I was completely unaware of where Paul was, but it felt like i was flying. I pushed my legs as far as I could go, gritting my teeth as the wind blew at my face.

Shooting a glance behind, I smirked. Paul was just on my heels. I opened my mouth to say something witty as I ran, but the air was knocked out of me as I slammed into something hard, like a damn rock. I felt myself falling to the ground and my arms flew out to catch myself. The landing wasn't bad because of the sand, but my head whipped around to see what I'd run into.

But it wasn't a rock, it was a guy. And I knew instantly what face I was looking into. Jacobs eyes were glazed over as he stared at me, and I practically saw the anger drain from his face. But it didn't look like he was calming down because he knew it was me, and that confused me. I was filled with two completely different emotions; pure anger, along with relief, and... Love? I guess I kind of understood that, because I was looking at my 'best friend' for the first time in ten years, but it still irritated me. I WANTED to scream at him.

He drew in a shallow breath, pure shock covering his perfectly defined features. Why was he so shocked if he didn't recognise me? Was it just the shock from walking into me? He stood staring at me, looking like a complete idiot, and eventually I cleared my throat. He didn't look like he knew who I was, not at all, and that hurt like hell. Didn't even recognise me.

And then he had the strangest reaction. Jacob got all defensive, but for some reason his anger didn't touch his eyes. "What the hell?! Watch where you're fucking going!" He spat the words at me, and something in me snapped as I pushed myself up off the ground - since he obviously wasn't going to help.

"I'm sorry Mr Jackass, did I ruin your day?" I pouted mockingly, half hoping that the sound of my voice would jog his memory. Nothing. But I did see a touch of confusion in his eyes that I didn't understand. He looked like he didn't want to be yelling at me, and that had ME confused.

Jacob was no less than incredibly handsome, and I hated myself for noticing that when I was supposed to be angry. Part of me was screaming at me to stop yelling at him, telling me it wasn't his fault, but none of that made sense, so I blocked it out and continued my angry glare towards him as he spoke.

His arguments were weak as he spoke, almost as if he was having the same problem as me. I didn't know why. "Maybe you should just leave, okay? You clearly aren't from here. Look at you." Jacob huffed, nodding to my lack of a tan and caramel coloured hair. My eyes narrowed.

"You're so full of shit, Jacob." I seethed at him through my teeth, and shock crossed his face. It felt better than ever to be saying his name, and I didn't know why that was. Huh, maybe I'd missed him even more than I thought. But I needed to stay focused.

"You know my.." He seemed to stop, and the colour drained from his face. I watched a string of emotions cross his face in a flicker of motion; shock, relief - what the hell - surprise, confusion, anger, sadness, and guilt. That last one brought me a whole new kind of joy, and I liked it. "Emma?." And for some reason, my heart fluttered in my chest at the sound of my name leaving his lips. what the hell is going on with me today?! Damn you, teenage hormones. I needed to stay focused.

"Well done, Jacob. Ten points to Gryffindor." I snarled sarcastically.