Progress

Over the next few weeks, I spent more time outside with Jacob at our meeting place than I did at home. Jake and I would sit and talk like we had done the first time, with as minimal contact as possible, which usually meant we didn't touch at all. But, that didn't mean we didn't make progress with my control, and started to take small steps in the right direction. I was noticing that although I had an urge to kill Jake, it was easier to be near a wolf than a human, because I didn't crave for his blood at all. 

We managed to begin to close the five metre gap between us, and within a week I was able to sit right in front of him as long as we weren't touching. The more we spoke, the more distracted I was from the urges and the less I had to work on my control. I got so caught up in our conversation on multiple occasions that I forgot Jacob had to sleep, and as we settled into silence sometimes I would look over and he would be fast asleep. 

That was one thing I missed; sleeping. Jacob had stayed at my place multiple times whilst I was still human, and I longed for the nights when we just fell asleep halfway through a movie. Jake still looked so peaceful when he slept, like all of the weight on his shoulders just fell away. It would've been easier to just let him sleep, and I did, for a few minutes at least, before I woke him up and we said goodbye. 

And then, as blissful as our days were, that was when they had to end, and that began to frustrate me. Jacob insisted that he didn't care, that if this meant he got to see me then he would be fine with it, but I knew he must want more. And I did, too. I wanted to work on it. But we couldn't do anything much with Sam still on high alert to keep an eye on Jake. 

"We have to talk to Sam," I mumbled, and turned my head to look at Jacob as he sat up abruptly. We were in our usual spots, laid side by side and staring up at the sky. 

Jake looked at me like I'd just grown an extra eye, and was shaking his head as soon as I had spoken. "Are you crazy? No, Emma! Once he lays down a law, I cant cross it. You understand that?" 

I sat up too, and started to place my hand on his arm, before I sighed and took it back. "But he won't. We can convince him. I just... I'm not gonna hide forever, Jake. Think about how nice it would be, if we could make this work." I murmured, glancing at how our hands were settled just next to each other and not touching. 

I was breaking him, I could see it in those eyes I loved so much. The sigh that escaped his lips was one i'd heard before; filled with anxiety and stress. "I don't want to risk... this, Emma. If this is all I can have for the rest of my life then that's okay." 

It was my turn to sigh then, and I glanced to his face. "What do I have to do to make you see how incredible this could be?" I whispered, and then my eyes landed on his hand, and very steadily I raised mine to lay my palm in his. Jacob was shocked, I knew that without even looking at his face, because of how his whole body tensed up. I couldn't remove my eyes from our hands because I was concentrating so hard, but I knew that Jake was sort of holding his breath for a moment. 

"What are you-" He started, but I shushed him and slowly laced our fingers together, a soft triumphant smile on my face as I lifted our hands together. The feel of his skin on mine was like a fire, as if someone had lit a match under my fingers and the flame was spreading, and yet somehow I liked it. 

"Don't phase on me." I whispered to him, and the humour in my voice made him relax instantly, and I saw a wide grin spread across his face. "See what I mean?" I mumbled to him, as I lifted our hands and laid them against his chest. The irregular beating of his heart became louder in my ears, and I was still smiling at my own strength. 

"You're amazing, Em. Look at what you're doing." Jacob mumbled to me, and my eyes lifted to his face. "We'll talk to Sam, okay? We can make him see. Anyone who doesn't see how incredible you are is stupid." My smile only grew wider, and as I started to pull my hand away, Jacob lifted his other hand to hold it against his chest. "Not just yet, I've waited too long for this." I let out a laugh.

---

A/N

I know this is a short chapter, and I also know that I've needed to upload for sooooo long, but I've been at school, and that will always come first. BUT, i'm off for two weeks now, so I'll be focusing on my writing a lot more. Aaaaaand I already have the next chapter; if you're a fan of Edward in this book, I'm pretty sure you're gonna love this next part. 

I'll upload ASAP!!!