Can we make it work?

Even though it was the day after my talk with Jacob, I could still see the look on his face when I'd mentioned the word 'imprint'. I knew what had crossed his mind, because the same had been in mine. He was thinking of Sam and Emily, and their perfect little relationship. The two of them were living a fairytale, so wrapped up in each other that when they spoke to the other, they practically forgot everyone else in the room. From the way Jake had acted in the few days since he'd allegedly imprinted, that just didn't seem right. But I couldn't think of any other explanation.

"Think about it," I'd told him, nodding slowly as I justified my answer. "It would explain why you were drawn to me, and why you wanted to follow me.." I said slowly, biting my lip. My head had been spinning when I'd spoken, because I just wasn't sure how I felt about it all. Should I be madly in love with him by now, or did that come with time? Was this the reason why I just couldn't stay away from him once I knew he was hurting about something? Ha. And there I had been, thinking it was because I was just a caring person.

When I looked at his face, my next few questions had been answered for me. "You pushed me away because you were confused, right? And you were upset because you thought you wanted to hurt me?"

Jacob's slow nod broke my heart. He looked like the sweet little boy I'd known so well. "Y-yeah, I guess.. I mean, now I still don't know how I feel about it. It's great that I don't want to kill you, though." He'd cracked a grin, then, and the tension was just broken, like he'd gotten a huge hammer and broken the ice. We'd laughed at his little joke, and the heavy conversation just seemed to drift away, and I was reminded of exactly why Jacob was my best friend, even before all of this. We just... Worked, and no matter if we were suddenly saddled with all of this 'destiny' crap that I didn't believe in or not, that couldn't change how much we got along. I was just glad he wasn't so angry anymore.

And we just seemed to go back to how I'd expected we'd act as soon as I got home, almost like the argument had been a bump in the road and now we were back on track. Laying around on my bed, doing homework and eating pizza with Jake had been EXACTLY what I was so excited to come home to. He was behaving like the boy I knew again, the boy I'd known was underneath all of the anger and confusion.

I was also kind of smug, because he seemed to be getting past all of that now that I was there. I saw his startling smile more and more, and he started to just... Relax, like a seventeen year old boy should, really. I liked it.

"Hey!" His fingers snapped in front of my face and brought me out of my little bubble of thoughts. When I looked up, there was that exact grin I'd been thinking about settled on his face. "Still here?" Jacob teased, tilting his head at me.

"Sadly, yes." I sighed dramatically, and settled my hands on my hips. "Go on, bore me with whatever you have to say." I huffed, fighting hard against the smile that threatened to ruin my act.

Jacob faked his disgust at my false rudeness, falling back onto my bed and stretching himself out. "Ouch, I'm hurt." He shot at me, still smirking.

"Could you be a little more careful with the furniture? Nothing in this house is build to hold your fat ass," I grinned, walking to put a movie onto the TV.

"Someone's feeling a little rude today," Jake commented, holding his hands up. "Maybe I should leave... Hmm? Would you prefer that, Little Banks?"

"Little," I scoffed, mocking the use of that word and rolling my eyes as I fell down on the bed in the small space his large body left for me. I laid on my stomach, propped up on my elbows. "I could take you, Asshole." I grinned, reaching to ruffle his hair.

Jacob caught my wrist to stop me, and narrowed his eyes. "Bite me." He snarled, and i almost fucking laughed out loud, because sometimes he just set me up for the best replies.

"I thought you were a different kind of monster, Pup?" I pouted, tilting my head. His large hand butted into my shoulder and knocked me onto my back whilst I started to laugh, my head falling back against the bed. My laughter stopped and I bit my lip as he leaned over me, that teasing grin still settled on his tanned face when he looked down at me. I could FEEL the heat radiating off of his body when he was so close, and for some reason I forgot how to speak. It took seconds, maybe minutes, for me to collect my thoughts, but I couldn't remember what the hell we were talking about.

"Easy with the blush, Em, people might actually think you have feelings." Jacob whispered, and then that smile broke into his face and the little moment I was cherishing was gone. My hand hit his chest - having absolutely no effect on him - and I pushed him off me, sitting up.

"Easy with the teasing, J, people might actually think you can take a joke." I shot back, and s smirk hit my face at that. We both started to laugh as we settled back to watch the movie, and a warm feeling fluttered in my chest to look at him in my room. This was where he belonged - with me - I was absolutely sure of that.