12 - Escape the Rainforest

I don't know how we turned up in the Rainforest on Iriomote Island...but we did it.

The whole Host club, plus Kazuna and I, stood under a dark canopy of leaves over-looking the gigantic, vast green forest in front of us. We had just clambered from the helicopter in a distant field and trekked for a good half hour until we came to this point. As far as I could see, no one was particularly enjoying it - apart from Tamaki and Hunny-Senpai, who gazed over their kingdom in amazement.

"Tamaki-Senpai," Haruhi frowned as she touched her bushy hair that the humidity was attacking. "I think...you went a little too far."

"Rin, why did you agree to this?" Kazuna asked, annoyed from being dragged from the comfort of her own home. "And why'd you drag me along?"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE MY SCIENCE PARTNER FOR STARTERS!" I cried before looking at the Host club in exasperation. I turned slowly to find a puppy-eyed Tamaki watching me; "AND I THOUGHT YOU WE'RE TAKING US TO A RESEARCH CENTRE, NOT THE MOTHERFUCKING RAINFOREST ITSELF?!?"

"Oh, we were," Kyoya scoffed, pulling out his PDA with a look of either annoyance or amusement; you could never quite tell with him.

"And then I thought 'why not do the next best thing and actually take you to the rainforest instead'!" Tamaki laughed, spinning in circles with his arms in the air.

"HOW DOES THIS HELP OUR PROJECT?!?" I screamed and swatted him over the head with my map.

"SO YOU COULD EXPERIENCE IT FIRST HAND!" He cried back.

"THAT DOESN'T HELP! OUR PROJECT'S ON HOW PLANT LIFE EFFECTS THE INHABITANTS, NOT HOW IT EFFECTS US!!" I yelled before pulling my hair and groaning. "It's already affecting Haruhi pretty badly, look at her hair! It's twice its size! And it's getting Kazuna and Mori now!"

I looked around me as most people's hair seemed to rate from slightly damp, to slightly frizzy, to looking like a cloud. Tamaki's hair did not fit into any of those categories though, his remained completely smooth and shiny. I really had to ask him what he conditioned his hair with.

"The helicopter won't pick us up for another five hours unless it's an emergency," Kyoya sighed.

"I think it's an emergency when you lied to us about where we were going?" Kazuna scoffed, looking Kyoya down.

"I don't recall lying," he smirked, "I recall Tamaki and I telling Rin that we'd take you both to a place of use for your project if the Host club could join so we could get pictures to sell."

"Now, don't you think authentic rainforest pictures are better than a boring old research centre?" Tamaki laughed, spinning around as he posed with various shrubbery.

Kaoru, who remained somewhat quiet beside the silent and tired Hikaru, took his camera out, ready to take pictures.

I pointed at him with a fixed glare, "so you were in on this?!" Kaoru raised in hands in innocence before I scowled. "And you too?!"

"It's not my project, is it?" Hikaru mumbled.

After a moment of scowling, I shrugged and sighed. I saw no way out and figured I may as well put up with it.

"Fine," I mumbled, "we'll experience the rainforest and picture opportunities until the helicopter picks us up. But then you are taking us to a proper research facility, got that?"

Tamaki nodded enthusiastically and Kyoya smirked, planning it in his PDA.

I looked at Hikaru again and approached him as everyone seemed to settle, "you okay, Mr Grump?"