Chapter Nineteen: The Noose Tightens

All the students and parents of Riverdale High sat in the school hall watching the debate that is going on for student council president. I sat next to Sweetpea and Fangs watching the whole things, but kept getting distracted by the little remarks that they both kept making. I looked between all three candidates wondering why anyone would vote for any of them, but what can I say.

"Okay, now just a quick reminder, that this school hall is a PTA sponsored event." Alice said from the podium looking at all mass amount of bodies before her. Sweetpea and Fangs stood up and Alice stopped talking and pointed to them. " Oh, looks like we have our first question."

"Yeah, no offense to the, uh, current administration, but it doesn't feel like anyone's looking out for the students who are being bussed in from the Southside." He said looking at the three candidates. Fangs patted his back in agreement and I shrugged nodding my head. "Is that gonna change?"

"Absolutely, Sweet Pea, that's our priority." Jughead brought the microphone to his lips and spoke. I saw Sweetpea and Fangs exchanged an eyeroll. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep me from smiling. Looks like I am not the only serpent against Jughead being student council. "And no one should feel marginalized or excluded here."

"Jughead and I will be representing all students, North and South Side alike." Betty ads.

"Next question." The older blonde on the stage says. "Yes, Midge?"

A girl with dark hair and a blood red leather jacket stood up. "My question is for Archie and Veronica. Rumor has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the Mayoral election, won't that negatively affect your working relationship?"

The two perched up from their original slouching position and pulled their full attention to MIdge. "Archie and I adhere to the old maxim that "politics are never discussed" at the dinner or the cafeteria table." Veronica spoke up. I rolled my eyes along with all the other candidates up on stage. The rest of the crowd laughed in response.

"Veronica and I are on the same page about everything, including her family's plans for a prison on the Southside." Archie adds on.

Murmuring and booing started up in the crowd at his response. I crossed my eyes staring dagger into the redhead. Sweetpea knocked his shoulder into mine making me turn my attention to him. He didn't looked down but the smile on his face made me know he did that on purpose.

"In the meantime, however, we're committed to improving the quality of life at Riverdale High, which means more extracurriculars-"

Josie interrupted her. "Reggie and I agree. Except, add the fact that we can and will deliver results.

"And we're chill, unlike these guys." Reggie said motioning at the others with his head. Chuckling ranged through the audience once again.

I hopped on Fangs back as we exited the once filled room. "Seriously Bell." He groaned and he put his hand on the back on my knees. He tried to hold me up but couldn't. "What do you eat?" He asked.

My eyes widened as I smack him on the head. I jumped off his back and stood in between the two best friends. Sweetpea pulled me over to his side putting some distance between me and Fangs. He shook his head at Fangs who put his hands up in confusion.

"What the hell did I do?" Fangs exclaimed rubbing the spot were I hit him. I narrowed my eyes at him ready to lunged at the smaller boy, but Sweet Pea grabbed my arms pulling me into his body. I tried pulling my hands out, but his grip just tightened. Huffing, I stopped struggling breathing in his familiar cologne.

You would think after everything at happened things would be pretty awkward, but it surprisingly wasn't.

"You are an idiot Fangs." Sweetpea said stealing the words right out of my mouth. Fangs frowned. I lifted my head from Sweetpea's chest, finally calm and stepped out of his grip.