Chapter 43 - Gabriel, Son of...

The flashing of steel rang as the screams of the Strigoi filled the air, along with the head splitting booms of gunshots. Jake and Gabriel had been dancing around each other for a few minutes now while a ring of Strigoi had formed around them that went after anything that got anywhere remotely close to the two that were fighting in the middle. Jake had told the others to get inside where they'd be able to help out far more, but none of them seemed willing to move and were they were locked into a constant brawl with the surrounding Strigoi.

"Come on kid!" Gabriel taunted as he continued to push Jake backwards, making him get closer and closer to the walls of the Imperial Palace. Back and back they went, with Jake never once letting his face betray himself, it was as if Gabriel were fighting someone hiding behind a stone mask and he could see that it was getting to him. With every strike Gabriel's attacks were getting more and more fierce. He was getting annoyed at the fact that he hadn't managed to do away with Jake yet and it was becoming very apparent on his face.

It all became much more apparent however when Gabriel brought his sword down in a chopping attack. Jake managed to get his blades up in time to block the attack, but the sheer force of the blow brought the flats of his swords down and nearly shattered his shoulder in the process. It took every ounce of Jake's will power to keep from letting his face convey his pain after having his shoulder put through such a hard hit. On top of that it'd brought him down to a knee the moment it connected, which only added to the impact given to his shoulder. 

There was a light cracking sound beside him and for a moment Jake thought it might've been his shoulder. "Oh, I heard that." Gabriel said with a satisfied smile on his face, but when Jake risked a swift glance in the same direction he saw very small almost invisible cracks form along his blades. Even with the steel of the Dokkalfurs on his side, Jake's weapons were still being broken by the stronger Being's strikes. But he didn't seem to think that's what cracked, Jake thought looking up at Gabriel smirk down at him with that smug look of his.

That in mind Jake brought his leg up and booted the Gargoyle in the gut, creating some distance, though not very much. The pale skinned boy let his hair hang down as he began to circle Jake who had begun to favor his right shoulder as well as keep his left side to Gabriel. The vampire sensing that his prey was hurt began to dart in an out with lunges that were only delivered with half the effort as usual. He was testing Jake's defenses, though to anyone else they would've thought he was behaving like a cat that had a mouse trapped in a corner. 

"Well you lasted a bit longer than I thought you would." Gabriel said prodding at Jake with his sword only for Jake to smack it away like he really was desperate to keep him away, an act that only made Gabriel's smile grow in size. "But I guess it's only natural for a human to lose to a perfect Being like myself." He pointed his sword at Jake once more and with his fangs revealed he asked in a sadistic tone. "Anything you want to say before I take your head off?"

But Jake didn't say a word, he didn't even make a sound in response to Gabriel which only seemed to annoy the vampire. "No?" He asked before letting out a sigh. "You know I like you a lot better when you actually talked. Now you're just... well- boring. Whatever not like I'm not going to enjoy this either way."

With that Gabriel brought his arm back up and was ready to bring it back down. In that split second that he did Jake's body reacted, flying to the side, using his left sword to deflect the chop making it slide harmlessly down his blade where it was buried into the ground where Jake had been just a moment ago. He meanwhile was still spinning around until the butt of his right sword was brought up hard into the back of Gabriel's head. The impact sent the Gargoyle tumbling forward, now it was him that was leaning against a wall. He turned around with an angry snarl on his face but as he did Jake was already swinging his right arm with all the force that he could muster.