Chapter 38 - Custody Battle

~*~*~*~Lance~*~*~*~

Back and forth I went, back and forth in front of the door that Jake had disappeared inside of. He'd been in there for about 10 minutes now and the wait was killing me. My hair was bristled and I could actually feel my heart thundering in my chest, and it was so loud to me that it sounded like a constant drum beat thundering in this narrow hallway. The room that Jake had gone into with those dark elves was completely sound and scent proof so there was no way for him to be able to tell what was happening within. But the overpowering scent of blood that wafted into the hall when the door was open couldn't have been hidden from his nose no matter how often they cleaned in there.

Eve was sitting in one of the small stools that a pair of kids had brought for them all to wait in while the test was conducted. She was fidgeting with her thumbs while Rayne, Wallace, and Rex's other aunt Yuki discussed their next move to get Jake out of here once those doors opened. But neither one of them was talking about the very real possibility that Jake could've lost the fight with Tai which according to Rex meant almost certain death. But none of them wanted to say it either for fear of what either I or Eve would do should that have happened.

I made it pretty clear already that if anything happened to Jake in there that they'd either need to knock me out or kill me to prevent me from going after every single dark elf that was in my sight. But that was likely my other half talking, the human side... well I just don't think that I'd be able to take the shock and would no doubt revert to my wolf half just to cope. Eve didn't have that luxury and what'd happen if she lost it, well I didn't know that either but considering how scary Rayne could get when she just gets annoyed made me not want anything to do with a berserk witch.

I let out a nervous and frustrated  sigh as I continued to pace back and forth in front of the door. Rex had given up long ago in trying to get me to sit down and I thanked him for it. Maybe it was my animal half, maybe it was my very real concern for Jake who was just as much my brother as Pierce, but regardless I couldn't sit still long enough to be consoled. Rex and his fiance were sitting on stools near Eve but neither of them looked to be in any rush to comfort any of them. They just sat there, Rex was leaning on Estelle's shoulder while she rested her head upon his. Rex still looked beaten up even after Rayne had worked on him, but the beating his body took before they called him back here made me wonder just what the hell he'd gone through.

Finally there was Andrew who despite his attitude was also rather quiet. He was leaning on the opposite wall of everyone else with his white hoodie pulled over his head. He was crosslegged on the floor and had his hands in his pockets, and his head resting against the wall. His white hair hung very loosely in his face completely shielding his black eyes from the rest of us. Why he was hear i didn't know, he was never particularly close to Jake. In fact the two of them fought like cats and dogs when they first met and even now they still barely got along. But whatever, it's just good to have someone else here which is more than I can say for Issac.

It's not like this place is hard to find, and he'd left them nearly an hour ago to go and eat in the privacy of his room. So where the hell was he? He knew how important it was for us all to be here, especially since he seems to have gotten pretty close to Eve and Jake. If something happened than he should be here to help comfort Eve. He should be here anyway to greet Jake if he came out alright. I let out another frustrated sigh as I continued pacing when we all heard a voice call out making us turn our heads to look.

Down at the entrance to this hall there was a tall and broad shouldered man running down the hallway. I'd never seen him before but Wallace, Rex, and Andrew all straightened up when they saw him. He had black hair that he kept fairly short, and what he did have on top he kept brushed back. Along his jaw was the beginnings of a beard, and he had long and thick almost feminine like eyelashes that rimmed his almond shaped eyes. His skin was darker than even mine was despite spending my days out in the LA sun and he spoke with an accent that I couldn't quite place.