Chapter 5 - Relatives

Sorry for the long wait guys I got SUPER BUSY. And also this is a different version of Chapter 5 then what I accidentally uploaded awhile ago. That wasn't supposed to be published my bad on that. Anyway, here's the REAL chapter! Hope you all like it and the pic is Rex's last aunt and Sojiro from the prologue.

"Jake, I thought you said you're supposed to wait for Wallace to get here?" Eve asked as the two of them walked down the 'hallway' to the Empress's private garden. "You can't just barge in like this, you'll get us in even more trouble than you already did!"

"Eve relax I'm not going to do anything stupid." Jake said looking out the virtually nonexistent wall which was all that separated them from the garden. It really wasn't a wall but a bamboo curtain just like the one that kept the Empress's face hidden in the main hall. On the other side of the 'wall' Jake could see the empress sitting in her garden with her back to the building. "I just need to talk to her about something."

Eve let out a groan before she stopped walking altogether and not even two seconds later Jake found himself completely frozen in place. She just froze me, he thought moving his eyes around to try and shoot her a glare with about as much success as he had moving. After a few more seconds Eve made her way to stand in front of him where she did her best angry mother impersonation complete with both her hands on her hips. Jake felt his face begin to twitch as her little attempt to stop him already began to fade.

"Jake I'm not going to let you go in there. You already broke one of their laws when you pulled a gun on one of them, and that was a law that we knew about! How many more laws do you think there are? We could be breaking ten right now and never even know about it!" Eve let out a sigh and her hands made their way from her hips to her sides as she hugged herself--something she did whenever she said something she knew he wouldn't like, it was almost like she was saying sorry by standing like that. "Look I know you're upset about what they did to Rex and I completely understand that. Nobody can blame you for that, it was wrong. But you have to listen to me when I say that it happened because of what you did."

Just then Eve's little trap faded and Jake physically drew away from her, too surprised that she'd jut said that to him. "He stood in for you in what would've been your punishment you have to see that. Jake- I fixed him up he'll be okay to walk and do whatever he needs to by tonight but you know it's a painful process to fix a bone. And Rex, he cares about you enough that I wouldn't doubt he'd stand in for you again." There was a pause for a moment before she finished. "Don't make me watch him or you be put through one of those punishments again. Please just- don't do whatever it is that you're about to do."

With those last words Jake noticed that Eve's eyes had gotten a little glossy as if she were about to start crying. Convenient timing he thought, but regardless of that he decided he'd humor her and promise not to do anything stupid. In truth what happened to Rex was not the reason he was coming to see the Empress. After the whole Walk of Penance thing that happened in the main hall Jake knew that he had to walk on egg shells from now on and he was going to take Rex's warning about dark elves completely serious now. With all that in mind he'd come to a decision about how to spend his time here. He hadn't told Eve of course, she'd met him in the hallway outside Rex's room and assumed that he was on his way to give the Empress an earful.

He had to admit, given his temper that would be the first thing that anyone should assume of him but after his first encounter with Dokkalfur law Jake had decided it was best to handle this as carefully as possible. Still, to have her tell him to his face that she out right blamed him for what happened to Rex didn't do anything to help his mood. He wanted to explain to her that the reason he'd pulled that gun on them was because those Shinobi were about to pounce on Rex and Estelle, but something inside him just felt that was pointless and so he didn't.