Chapter 9 - Martial Challange

"You did what!?" Wallace screamed as he slammed his fist on the desk so hard that the cup of tea he'd been drinking fell over. Yep this is about how Jake figure he'd react when he told him about Issac. "Jake, I don't think you realize just how many rules you've broken just by making that call. I won't be able to protect you from Yoko when she finds out you invited a Being into her territory."

"Actually I didn't invite him." Jake said with a shrug. "I told him that I had a lead on his son-"

Jake didn't get a chance to finish before Wallace caught him across the face with the back of his hand nearly knocking him off of his feet. "Jake, don't you know that the penalty for breaking Code of the Shinobi is death? Yoko will kill you when she finds out!"

"Not when you tell her that Issac is my partner." Jake said after he stood back up and wiped away the small bit of blood from the corner of his mouth. The metallic taste of blood was still in his mouth and from the look that Wallace was giving him Jake had the feeling he was going to be swallowing even more of it. "Yoko already knows that my partner is a Being. Chances are she knows that its Lance too, but I'm also positive that Issac is very much on the list of things she's aware of which includes his part in our battle with Stark."

"You're too damned bold for your own good you know that." Wallace said pointing an accusing finger at him. "This invitation you made might go over, but I promise you that you're going to be punished not only by the dark elves but my me as well when you return."

"So does that mean you're going to be leaving?" Jake asked with a quizzical look on his face.

"Yes, I have other matters I have to attend to." Wallace said pulling on his black and white coat. "But before I leave I'm going to be making one last stop to talk to Yoko. I'll plead your case for Issac, but after that Jake you're on your own. The Saint Shields will not be responsible for any other ludicrous actions that you take. Do you know what that means?"

"I'll take whatever punishment they see fit to grant me." Jake said nodding his head. "But don't worry about me, I don't plan on dying over here."

~*~*~*~

Jake was sitting on a small bit of cloth in an empty room while he awaited the decision of Empress Yoko. Wallace had left some time ago and shortly after Jake had been fetched from the room that he shared with Eve to the one he was currently in. Eve was allowed to come, but the elves that brought them told her absolutely nothing of what was going on so it fell to Jake. She had a similar reaction to it as Wallace without the screaming and the hitting, but Eve understood why Jake had done what he'd done. It was after all her that'd gotten him to make the call, though she probably didn't count on Issac coming over here.

Then again neither did Jake, but after everything he'd gone through with Father Matthew, Jake could understand him at least a little bit. Though in Issac's case the desire to do something had to be a lot greater than even Jake knew seeing as Gabriel was his son. That was a feeling that Jake didn't think he'd have the luxury of knowing for years to come. The closest thing he had was- WILL! Jake shot up to his feet so suddenly that he made Eve flinch as he began to look for his phone.

God how could he forget about Will Jake thought to himself as he rummaged through his pockets. He was supposed to help Will get better at basketball the day he left for Japan and he didn't even call to let him know he wasn't going to be around! That was two days ago and now Will probably thinks that Jake had forgotten all about him! Jake finally found his phone in his pants pocket while Eve asked what he was freaking out about but he simply told her that he'd tell her after he made the call. He scrolled through his contact numbers and found his Aunt Carol's house phone. It rang four times before someone answered the phone.