Chapter 12 - Day One

This was supposed to be up on Tuesday but my internet has been pretty shaky lately so I had to wait until it was fixed. SORRY!!!

Jake was woken up by a sharp kick right in the spine making him jump up, detaching himself from Eve with dagger in hand. Eve was up as well and they both looked up to find the elf Sojiro looking down at him with his arms crossed. His bright blue eyes were glowering down at him like to bright stars in the darkness of his room. Wait, why the hell was it so dark?

"It's far too late to be asleep Kowareta" Sojiro said flatly making Jake rub his eyes and ask the time. "It's nearly 5:00 am. Everyone else has been awake for nearly an hour. Hurry, your first class started a half an hour ago."

"Okay just let me get cleaned up and-"

"You would have been able to prepare yourself had you awoken at the proper time." Sojiro cut in. "Up now. Next outburst will see you lose your daily rations for four days."

Jake opened his mouth to say something but after seeing the way Sojiro was looking at him told him that he really meant it. Turning to Eve who still looked like she was more asleep than she was awake he leaned over and kissed her before he got up to let Sojiro lead him away. He led him down the hall and more towards the center of the palace, a place where Jake had yet to be since he was told it was completely off limits. From what he was told the inner parts of the palace were completely off limits to outsiders and that the main hall was really the only place where they were allowed.

Despite that though, the only thing that separated the inner workings from the outer rings of the palace was just a single paper door. Sojiro slide the door open and on the inside Jake saw a large group of children all on the floor with their legs crossed while a middle aged dark elf zig-zagged through the children inspecting them with keen eyes. He looked up at Jake entering the room and quietly walked over to them with his arms folded behind his back. Without a word being said the dark elf brought his hand up grabbing Jake by the chin and turning his head fairly roughly.

"He's too old." He said suddenly looking at Sojiro and releasing Jake's chin. "What can this one possibly learn so late in life?"

Jake was about to say something when Sojiro beat him to it. "It's the wish of our Lady that he be taught Sano."

The dark elf named Sano took a deep breath before turning back to Jake. "Very well." He said pointing to an empty space in the room where an empty mat lie. "There's your spot. Remember your spot, sit in another's spot and you'll be punished."

"Sir." Jake said with a bow but before he took a step he had to ask. "But- what exactly am I supposed to do?"

Sano looked at Jake as if he couldn't believe what he'd just heard. "This is the morning meditation period." Sano said aloud prompting a slight giggle amongst the children. Sano turned around and snapped sharply in Japanese making one of the children flinch. "Take your place." He said to Jake before marching over to the child that had flinched and presumably giggled. He was grabbed by the scruff of his neck and hauled into the back room where a wooden door was shut behind them.

Jake nearly moved to object when Sojiro cleared his throat to get Jake's attention. He turned to the elder dark elf and knew that he couldn't object to whatever it was that was going on behind that door. Not like it took a genius to figure it out, Jake thought wistfully as he moved to take he place on the mat that was assigned to him. He sat down with a huff and crossed his legs which earned him a look from one of the other children. Jake looked over at the child and who gave him very subtly gestures to bring his legs tighter to him and to bring his hands together in his lap.