Chapter 30 - Better With Age?

"Grandfather!" called a soft voice making me turn around in my stool to find a small figure rushing over to me with her arms wide open

"Grandfather!" called a soft voice making me turn around in my stool to find a small figure rushing over to me with her arms wide open. "Grandfather, Grandfather!"

"Well hey there my girl!" I called back removing my glasses as I turned completely and got into a crouch as my granddaughter raced towards me. She was a beautiful girl, she's inherited her mother's looks only with her father's colors. She had bouncy brown hair eyes so big and full of childlike wonder that one couldn't help but smile when she looked at you with them. She was wearing a blue dress that looked fairly new and her brown curls were bouncing excitedly with every step she took as she leaped into my arm. "What are you doing here?"

"Papa wanted to surprise you for your birthday!" She said with a giggle before leaning in and whispering in my ear. "He got you a present and I'm not supposed to say anything."

"Well don't you worry it'll be our little secret." I said with a laugh as I began walking out of my workshop with my daughter Caitlin still in my arms just as her uncle, my second eldest rounded the corner. "William." I said greeting him with a nod of my head.

"Happy birthday father." He said with an inviting smile on his face as he pat my shoulder heavily. "You and the shop are looking well."

"Unfortunately there hasn't been a whole lot of business coming my way ever since the church job." I replied as we exited the house and I was suddenly greeted to all eight of my children and their children waiting for me outside. They all let out a loud "surprise" before Caitlin exclaimed happy birthday before she hugged me. "Wha- You're not all here just for me are you?"

"Of course we are Pop." Said William as they all came towards me while I still couldn't believe it myself. "We know you've been having it hard ever since Ma was killed two years ago."

"You're all we have Papa." Said Lilian my eldest daughter and third oldest child. "And we all wanted to get together and celebrate your 45th birthday with you."

William leaned over before whispering in my ear. "Henry wrote us all."

My eyes quickly went down to my youngest child of all, Henry who was barely older than my oldest grandchild at seven years old. I gave him a soft smile before I set down Caitlin and opened my arms before all of my children and grandchildren came in for a hug that made me feel like the happiest man in the world. I couldn't believe that my youngest had managed to arrange all of this himself, I'd have to remember to do something special for him sometime soon.

"Now come on let's go see about dinner shall we?"

~*~*~*~

"And so Oliver and William come running into the house as naked as the day they come into the world with Lilian chasing after them with your grandmother's rolling pin." My grandchildren all burst out into a fit of laughter, Oliver and Willaim--my two oldest--were beginning to look rather sheepish as they sipped on their tea while Lilian and her two sisters were laughing out loud.