Chapter 20 - Pull of Two Packs

Jake and Issac were moving to head out the door when his team leader called him back. "Ken, you cannot leave now. Your job is to defend this place while these Shinobi are being tended to, you cannot go about your way with a monster!"

"This is my partner!" Jake exclaimed though he only half turned his body when he said it. "Besides, us hurrying back to assist the Monarch's Enforcer falls in line with everything I'm supposed to do!"

Jake had made it maybe three steps out of the door when the jewel on his necklace lit up like a road flare making him as well as Issac stop dead in their tracks. Normally Jake would've had to touch the jewel to find out what was causing the glow, but in times of emergency the jewel was materialize an Orb without need of his touch, and this was one such time. An Orb flew out from the jewel of Jake's cross, there was no image within it but he heard a frantic voice coming over it. Since the Orb was translating it however it sounded muffled as if he were hearing it through a static radio but the message itself was clear enough.

"Sector 18 quadrant 2 is being overrun! Do not send back up!" The voice screamed with grunts and heavy impacting thuds sounded, but Jake's blood turned into ice within his veins at the sounds of an all too familiar screaming that came through the Orb. Again there was the sounds of a struggle followed by more screams and grunts. "I repeat DO NOT SEND BACK-"

The man was cut off by another heavy sounding thud as well as a pained cry. Over the cries and screams Jake could hear the unmistakable sounds of a slaughter as the Beings did their work on the man. His cries began to get over shadowed by the sounds of a gurgle which to Jake sounded very much like someone drowning. There was a pause before the man's voice cut through one more time, screaming a word that Jake really didn't want to hear again after the Siege, he'd hoped such a thing wouldn't have happened. But Stark's horde it would seem has followed him across the Pacific and now it was wreaking havoc on the Shinobi.

"STRIGOI!" Was the last word that came through the Orb before it was blotted out by a sickening crunch that cut off the word so abruptly that it left little in the way of doubt as to what had happened.

Jake and Issac both simply stood where they were, both were staring at the fading Orb that had come from Jake's cross until it finally vanished leaving them with only each other to look at. Neither knew what to say but the look on Jake's face must've been all that Issac needed because the Gargoyle came forward and place both hands on his shoulders.

"It's okay, you don't have to come with me I understand why you need to stay." The Gargoyle's blue eyes were shining slightly telling Jake that Issac was just as bothered by this as he was. "But I can't leave that stone behind, my son remembered me once he saw it. If I'm going to get him back I need that stone back."

Jake nodded before he leaned forward and gave the vampire a hug as he spoke. "Watch yourself out there, don't do anything stupid okay?"

"Don't worry about me, it'll take more than a few of those mindless freaks to kill me." Issac paused as the two of them broke apart. "I'll be back as soon as I can Jake, but you should really think about calling in for some reinforcements from the Saints."

"That's exactly what I was going to do." Jake said and as Issac began to take the first few steps away he called out once more. "We'll get your son back Issac!"

The vampire froze for a moment just then, half turning his head to look back at Jake before he took off at a run without saying another word. Whether or not that meant something Jake didn't have a whole lot of time to think about it. What he did know was that he needed to get ahold of Wallace somehow and get more help for the Shinobi or else Stark would be able to overwhelm them with numbers alone. That being said... Jake also didn't have the greatest hope that his new bosses would really like his going out of house so to speak in order to handle the situation.