t h i r t y - t h r e e

elizabeth schuyler

"Alex!" She smiled, happy and oblivious to the situation. He stepped out the door after her, shutting it without a word.

"I heard you and John broke up. Hopefully it was a good one. Bad breakups suck." Her sweet tones filled the hallway like a scent, and Alex didn't have time to reply.

"Actually, Eliza, now isn't the best—"

"Wait, wait!" She continued on, oblivious. "Alex, you're single now, right?"

"Yeah, but you don't understand, I—"

"Okay! So I was wondering if—"

"Eliza, please! I can't—"

"Alex, will you just—"

"Don't do this to me—"

"Alex, would you please go out with me?" An exasperated sigh filled the air. It was Eliza's. She didn't understand why Alex continued to interrupt her, when she had such an important question.

He looked horrified. "Go out with you?" he spat, eyes wide. "Go— you want me to— you're sick."

"What?" Eliza took a step back, confused. "I only—"

"You're a pathetic human being, Elizabeth. First rumors that I cheated with Maria, and now you, chasing after me? I just broke up with John, albeit not well and not my choice, and you come running?" Alex curled his lip, disgusted. Eliza furrowed her brow.

"I didn't know it was—"

"That's your problem. You never know. Too sweet to understand." Alex shook his head. "Sorry, 'Liza, but my answer is no. Think things through before you go and spew bullshit at me like a sick cat." He spun away from her, shutting the door behind him.

She was left in the hall, confused and hurt. "Maria?" She murmured, staring at the spot Alex had just left from. "He... What? He cheated with Maria Lewis?"

Her eyes widened. Peggy. "Oh, no! I can't tell Peggy... she'll be heartbroken..."

Eliza turned away from the door. "I can't believe..." She trailed off.

Suddenly, a voice came from behind her. "You don't have to. Take it from me. Lewis is nothing more than a cheating whore, and so is Hamilton. There are always reasons, you know." The voice was clearly male, and someone Eliza knew; but when she turned around, he'd gone.

At first, it was obvious he was right. His story made sense. And then... plot holes. Uncomfortable plot holes. Alex would always have an alibi, and they were always right. He was studying, out for coffee, whatever.

Lewis was always with Peggy. If not, she was with Reynolds, desperate for a way out.

It didn't make sense.

Eliza shook her head. "Falsely accused of cheating," she muttered. She would try to fix this. Everything would work out.

It had to.

It was supposed to, anyway.