t e n

lafayette

Lunch.

Lafayette knew that once they met up with Laurens and Hamilton for food, him and Herc might not be able to get any more alone time.

So Lafayette did something he regretted—kind of.

He'd gotten a text from Alex, "Going to eat our late lunch, meet us at the zoo diner."

He'd responded with "Oui."

He hadn't told Hercules yet. It was amusing to let Hercules talk to him—the tailor was funny and exciting and the best to be with (not that he had anything against Hamilton or Laurens).

But as they strolled away from the wolves, and Lafayette artfully led Hercules toward the area of the food, he stopped walking. Hercules did the same. "What's going on?"

"Hercules?" Lafayette whispered in response. "I'm gonna regret this."

He kissed him. It was short, and quick, and their lips barely touched at all, but it was enough for Lafayette and enough for Hercules.

"Alex texted me. We should go get food."

Hercules pursed his lips, and didn't comment on the situation. "Yeah. We should."

alex

"Where are they?" Alexander snapped impatiently. "I texted Lafayette six minutes ago. Six. Whole. Minutes. And they are not here!"

John giggled. "No, Alex, they're not. Sit down and stop pacing. They'll get here soon."

He huffed and sat down, tapping his foot. "Where did they go anyway?"

"I don't know, Alex," John chuffed, "but if you shut up and stopped tapping your foot, maybe they'd arrive faster."

Alexander furrowed his brow. "That doesn't make any sense," he protested, but stopped nonetheless.

Alex shifted in his seat, staring around.

Suddenly, John stood from the picnic table. "There they are. And woah, their faces are red. Hey guys!"

Lafayette and Hercules hurried over. "Oui, oui, bonjour," Lafayette muttered, out-of-breath.

Alex raised an eyebrow. "Qu'est-il arrivé? Pourquoi rougis-tu?"

Lafayette stared at Alex for a second before hurriedly going, "Quelle?? Rien. Rien du tout. Mangeons."

Alex shrugged passively and motioned for them to sit down. "I'll go order. What do you guys want?"

// time-skip brought to you by last chapter's king george //

The food was here, and the conversation was going. Everything was going fine. John and Alex told the story about how they ran into King George and Samuel Seabury, and the crew had a good laugh over John's fake accent. Lafayette and Hercules explained that Lafayette had gotten a little over-excited at the wolves and almost fallen into the wolf pit.

And then... "Hi, guys."

Alexander spun around, dropping his burger. "Aaron Burr, sir! What are you doing here?"

Aaron bit his lip. "I'm here with my... uH... my girlfriend, Theodosia."

Alex squealed like a little girl. Though he wasn't close with Burr, he found that he wasn't as loudmouthed as Jefferson and took a liking to him. "Where is she?? Aaron's got a girlfriend!"

Aaron flinched. "She's in the bathroom. I saw you guys, thought I'd say hi."

Suddenly, a girl slipped out from the building. "Oh, hey. Are these your friends?" She looped an arm around Aaron's shoulders and grinned.

John nodded. "Nice to meet you, Theodosia. We'd better go, we've had a late lunch and we should be getting back to campus."

Alexander raised an eyebrow at John, who shrugged.

"Bye, then!" Theodosia called over her shoulder as Aaron led her away.

The four stood, and Hercules said, "I think I've seen her before, I can't figure out where."