s i x

alexander

The four guys returned to their dorm room after saying goodbye to the sisters.

They'd stayed at the coffee shop for three hours after the thirty minutes that John had been jealous, Thomas crashed the party, and Alex almost kissed... nope. Shut up. That didn't happen. Uh-uh. Nope. Nada. Zip—

"Hey, Alexander?" came a drowsy voice from the other side of the couch that the four college students were crashing on.

He knew it was Lafayette. The Frenchman had some weird thing about alcohol and caffeine—his highs were really short but really extreme. And then he'd crash—and when he did, he wasn't angry or depressed. He acted... tired. And lazy. And very intrusive on Alexander's life.

"Yeah, Laf?"

"Avez-vous déjà embrassé Elizabeth Schuyler?" The french guy glanced at him with dark eyes. Alex flinched at this. "No."

"You sure?" Lafayette frowned at him before standing and tapping a sleeping Mulligan on the shoulder.

He ignored them. John had left somewhere during their short conversation. Surely he didn't know what Lafayette had said. Had he seen him?

Oh, shit. Had Laurens seen Hamilton almost kiss a Schuyler?

Fuckfuckfuckfuck

How had he done it? He'd single-handily screwed up his love life, and it had only been a day and a half of living with these people.

He groaned.

Hercules, who was now awake, glanced at him. "Hey, Alex? You okay?"

He nodded.

"Well, it's only two-thirty. I was thinking we could go somewhere?" Mulligan grinned, and then glanced at an oblivious Lafayette.

And Alexander then and there decided that he was going to hook them up. Getting to his feet, Alex nodded. "Yeah. I'm going to go find John. Figure out where you wanna go."

Hercules nodded and then started scrolling through places on his phone with Lafayette looming over his shoulder.

Alexander headed toward the door to him and John's room. "Hey, John? Laurens? You okay?" he called, creaking it open. John was sitting on his bed.

He wasn't crying. That was good. In fact, he was laughing.

Alexander almost smiled. Almost. He could tell John about his plan to hook Lafayette and Hercules up with Peggy's help. And then he realized... John's laughter wasn't out of humor. Hell, it wasn't happy laughter.

It was spiteful.

"John?" He stepped closer, tucking his plan for Mullette away for later.

John looked up at him, eyes like ice. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Eliza?"

Alex opened his jaws to argue, to maybe calm John down and defend himself, but John cut him off.

"I'm so pathetic."

"John, you're not pathetic." He lost all motivation to defend himself.

"Yes, I am. Alexander, you wouldn't understand." He laughed bitterly again and stood up, looking Alex over. "You almost kissed her." His voice turned to a whisper.

Alex's heartbeat quickened. "John, I've only know you for a day and a half—"

"And her for five minutes before you decided she was yours."

"I—" Alex broke off, panicking. "I... I didn't... It was a spur-of-the-moment thing..."

John raised a single eyebrow. "I'm not mad at you." He said it in a hushed tone that scared Alex a little.

"Really?" he muttered.

"No, I'm not. I'm... I'm just... jealous." John's expression changed, something along the lines of nervousness.

"Jealous?" Alexander echoed lightly.

"Of... of you making more friends, I guess. I wanted us to be... best friends." John stared up at Alex with pleading eyes.

Alexander Hamilton was frozen. For the first time in forever, he couldn't speak. He wouldn't speak. John Laurens had just friendzoned him. He deserved it, sure, but...

"We can be best friends if you want, John. It's okay. You're okay. C'mere, let's get together and set Herc and Laf up, okay? It'll be fun. Peggy can help us."

At the mention of Peggy's voice, John brightened up. "Okay. Here, make a group chat."

john & alex & peggy
ham sandwich changed the group name to "Mullette Shippers"
ham sandwich: Peggy?
pegleg: wait is this alex
turtleboi: yeah its alex
ham sandwich: Listen, we gotta set Hercules and Lafayette up. They're perfect for eachother.
pegleg: seREoUSLY????
turtleboi: wot
pegleg: nvm
pegleg: also,,,, why does alex text in correct grammar
ham sandwich: *Also, why does Alex text in correct grammar?
turtleboi: oh god