t w e n t y - n i n e

lafayette

Loud, choking sobbing coming from the back alley behind the college's dorm complex was easily heard, and the late November air gave Lafayette a sense of fear as droplets of light rain landed on his bare arms.

He wore a pajama shirt, crumpled with the words "freedom fries" across them; pictures of french fries scattered along his pajama pants. the jaunty mood of his clothing did not match his feelings; confusion and fear and hurt, something dark inside him begging to get out.

He was scared. What was he going to do? Hercules had just broken up with him through a note, blocked his number, and disappeared into nothing. Lafayette had no idea what to do. Tears dropped against his skin, their warmth mixing with the chillyness of the rapidly-increasing rain.

He swallowed, wiping away tears and snot, lifting his chin. "I'm fine," he muttered to himself, mumbling something else in French. "Hercules—" he sniffled, "doesn't deserve me."

He stumbled to his feet. "I️ don't deserve Hercules," he whispered, leaning against the brick wall.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed his shoulder. Lafayette made a noise in his throat, spinning to face his attacker, but it was only Alex.

"God, mon ami—" he paused to sniffle, "you scared me! What is going on?"

Trying to seem cheery, he waited for Alex to say something. But the Frenchman's face fell again as Alex blinked back tears. "John broke up with me," he whispered, voice cracking. "He said that... that I️ lied to him about us seeing James Reynolds beat Maria."

Before Lafayette could respond, Alex added in a panic, "he said he couldn't believe I️ cheated. I️ cheated! He thinks I️ cheated!"

"With who, mon ami?" Lafayette yelled, eyes wide, grabbing Alexander's shoulder to steady the man before he went into a frantic pacing.

"He thinks I️ cheated with Maria Reynolds. That we lied." He shook his head until Lafayette thought his brains would fall out. "How could he think that?"

"I'm sure there's a reason!" Lafayette offered hopefully, but his face said otherwise, his horrified expression blatant against his face. "I'm sure there's a reason he broke up with you! And... and Hercules broke up with me..."

He trailed off, staring at the ground.

Out of Alexander's mouth came the most amazing thing ever said by a person.

"Boy, are we fucked."

Everything has gone to hell, lafayette's scared, Alex is angry, John is hurt, and Hercules is wherever the McFuck Hercules went

good luck ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)